We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Belek

Which Belek hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Belek

Hi all we are off to Papillon Belvil in 7 weeks and countdown has begun lol. We have a couple of questions to ask to make sure our 1st time is a success, we know the belek market is on a Saturday are we really far away from it or is it easy to get to from our hotel? We have a daughter desperate to shop lol.

Also we have been reading about the best way to take currency, we were thinking of taking a small amount of lira then the rest in English and exchanging whilst we were there, is there places to exchange it easily.

We are so looking forward to the holiday we booked it 12 months ago and all of a sudden it's around the corner.

Thanks a lot for reading

Sarah

Banstead, United...
Destination Expert
for Belek
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Belek

hi Sarah,

With only seven weeks you must be getting excited.

It will be hot, so i don't advise walking into Belek.

Each hotel has a taxi rank just outside it's gate and there will be printed price lists, approx 5 euros each way. Taxis are very easy to find when you are ready to leave town too. Public buses take lira

The saturday market is under canvas and gets quite hot & busy, i'd suggest arriving at 9ish (am) before the rush, the market is a good size, i'd suggest allowing a couple of hours to look around.

Most items are priced in Euros but stall holders will gladly accept lira and sterling

We buy our currency before we travel so we don't have to worry about exchanging on arrival, there are several bureaus in town and cashpoint machines so not a worry and Peter, a destination expert recommends changing whilst there.

You may want to hold onto small denominations for tipping in your hotel

Hope you have a lovely holiday

Best wishes, Angela

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Belek

Hi Homebird

7 weeks will fly by and very exciting going to a new country !

Have you done your online visa yet ? This is something you could do now so one thing off the check list.

I would get some currency to start you off but at the moment some exchange bureaus have none so if you see some get it while you can. Good idea to take sterling to change but they need to be nice clean notes without writing ! I always have a Visa card as back up but have never used it.

It is much to far to walk to Belek from your hotel but the Dolmus is a cheaper form of transport than a Taxi !

We are not into shopping on holiday and especially not in high season and a lot of people seem to go shopping in the evenings ! We used to go when our son was young because he liked the fake football shirts etc ! Kadriye has a Tuesday Market and sells similar things ! Your rep will give you info and it might be an idea to go to the welcome meeting on your first visit.

Have a lovely holiday and please let us know how you like Turkey and please write a review as the Belvil does not get a lot of mention on the forum as you have probably found out.

We loved our evening there but it has had lots of improvements and new facilities since then,

There was a nice terrace off the buffet which was for adults and I think it was over 12's which was nice and peaceful and we thought the food was very good there.

Banstead, United...
Destination Expert
for Belek
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Belek

Hi Sarah,

I've just double checked the address of the papillon Belvil and its closer to Kadriye than Belek, so a taxi into Belek town could be closer to 10 euros than 5 each way. There are buses (dolmus).

Regards Angela

cheshire
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Belek

Thanks for your replies, it may be worth going to Kadriye on a excursion it is mainly for my girls they want the football shirts and converse shoes lol.

I am looking forward to going to the Belvil and you are right toady it doesn't get a lot of mentions and is quite low on the hotels list even though the reviews are good. We booked here mainly as it looks good for my daughters as they say happy kids make happy holidays lol.

I am due to do the visas, I have recently done my in laws as they fly to Daylan tomorrow so I know what i am doing there but i am looking forward to checking that off my list and i think i may start to get the lira now to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Sarah

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Belek

Hi Sarah

Not sure you will need an excursion to Kadriye more a case of go and come back !!

It is nothing to write home about really but I believe there are some nice bars there !

Belek is possibly your best option !

Yes the Belvil was much higher rated and nose dived and recently the same happened to the lovely Arcadia !

I would not worry as you have read the reviews !

It is not the plushest but then they come with a huge price tag ! It is a good value for money hotel !

The grounds and beach are lovely !

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
846 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to Belek

definately agree.

I found the shops in Kadriye very minimal as opposed to Belek and they have more of a selection. If you have a look on TA for belek bars and restaurants this will help you decide on the places to visit whilst you are there if that is what you want to do.

The handbags and jewellery shops are second to none, infact my mum bought some beautiful jewellery in Belek but I was too lazy to walk in with them and missed out! :) Oh well, there is always next year!

cheshire
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Belek

Thanks everyone for the help, hubby fancies getting the dolmus to Belek he likes to try the local transport wherever we go i think we will go early to the market and then maybe sample some food and drink whilst we were there well it would be rude not too lol.....

Banstead, United...
Destination Expert
for Belek
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Belek

Hi homebird

Sounds like a plan, i think the fare is 2 Lira each

Have a wonderful holiday

Best wishes, Angela

9. Re: 1st time to Belek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:17