We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to treat mosquito bites,,,,

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
to treat mosquito bites,,,,

i've just got back from boots buying holiday supplies but didn't know what to get for mosquito bites as they have hyrdrocortisone cream (for itching, irritation, swelling and pain) for £3.22 and they sell antihistamine cream (for itching, irritation, swelling and pain) for £3.22 ...... So what do i go for??

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

Get a Bite Pen. It contains ammonia and gives good short-term relief.

For long-term relief use either Germolene or a small dab of toothpaste. Paste is better than Gel.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

The best I hav found is the one sold in the pharmacies (Eczane) in Turkey. it's a gel and I think it's called Stijex or similar but go into any pharmacy in Turkey and they'll sell it to you!!

Take anti histimine tablets from the UK if you know you react badly to the bites. i've always found the own brand 99p packs as good as anything more expensive!

The repellents sold here are the best I've come across they're call OFF! or Sin Kov and most shops sell them.

Having said that I've taken every precaution and have been bitten to death this week!! Only me though my partner, who normally reacts really badly, hasn't had one bite! I'm beginning to look as though I have the plague or something similar ;)

Lancashire
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

We go over a few times a year and I usually get bitten but I don't take anything with me anymore as I've found that the stuff on sale in the Pharamcies in the resorts works a lot better. Last year I was eaten alive and had a bad reaction to them but it cleared very quickly after using their products. The Pharmacist usually advises that you buy a cream and a gel then mix the two together and just apply this to the bites. This tends to work a lot quicker than anything I've ever bought from Boots.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

I got 40 bites in cuba last year and i still have a bruise on my arm from one of them and that was nearlly a year ago so I'm feeling cautious.... got some 50% deet wipes from boots.... i'm wondering whether the mosquitoes are attracted to my perfumes or moisturiser or something.....

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

i think i saw one of these bite pens in boots.... does it look a bit like a long thimble? How does it work? Do you inject into the bite?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

Mossies are attracted by perfumes,best to use something that has very little smell and mix in some lemon cologne which you get there.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

apparently they go for everyone but only the unlucky react to the bite. I do know that friends reckon they don't need repellent if i'm with them LOL.

I have tried everything and while somethings work for a while - Vit B, eating Marmite, wearing long sleeves & trousers, avoiding still water, avoiding sitting under trees it seems they still find me in the end lol. Think I've just been unlucky this year!!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

My OH reckons I don't get bitten (maybe the odd one)because I drink vodka-maybe they don't like the taste of my skin :)

London
Level Contributor
8,867 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

Get a Bite Pen. <<<< Yes agree with this. Always have mine handy in my pocket for that unexpected mossie sting. If we are talking about the same thing - my bite pen has felt tip I just rub over the bite.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: to treat mosquito bites,,,,

Apparently, Avon Skin So Soft moisturiser stops you getting bitten in the first place. They tend not to bite me, but love to feed on hubby!! Haven't tried the skin so soft but will definitely try it next year.