We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you lock your suitcases?

Wales
Level Contributor
814 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Do you lock your suitcases?

Hi,

I have just watched a 'how best to pack' programme and the final tip was to 'lock your case using a combination padlock'

I have flown to many parts of the world and have never locked my suitcase, is this something that most people do these days? Has anybody had items stolen from an unlocked case?

Your advice will be advice greatly appreciated because I will be taking my daughter's wedding dress with me.

Lyni

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

Hi Lyni

I always lock my case, force of habit I think, coz there's not much worth nicking lol.

Mind you, if you've something as precious as your daughters wedding dress, I think you should lock it, just to be on the safe side.

If, as is unlikely, the worst happened, not sure if your Insurance would cover a case that wasnt locked & your daughter probably wouldnt speak to you ever again!!!

Have a lovely time

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

I don't know about a combination lock(forget the code???)but I suppose using any type of lock will be a deterrent to any light fingered opportunist thief especially as you have something of value and importance.Could you maybe take the dress on as hand luggage in a dress carrier?

London
Level Contributor
8,199 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

I always lock my case but earlier this year the lock got jammed whilst in hotel. I had to ask the hotel porter if he cud break the lock for me. He got a screwdriver and just one simple flick of the hand and the lock snapped free. I thought if its that simple to break a lock, why bother. But I still use a lock.

Wales
Level Contributor
814 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

Thanks folks,

You know, I have never thought about the insurance aspect of it, I'm so glad that I have not had to make a claim!

Re: The dress hanger, I have contacted Thomas Cook Airlines and they have told me that they do not allow any hangers at all in the cabin, nor would they allow me an extra couple of inches on hand luggage.

We discovered, after we had booked, that TC have the smallest hand luggage allowance compared to all airlines. I just could'nt get the dress in such a small space.

I'll put the dress in a separate suitcase and make certain that I lock it and hope for the best.

I'll lock my other luggage too!

Thanks again,

Lyni

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

A young lady wore her dress on the plane last year to and fro- seriously.

Consider borrowing a guitar case to put the dress in, I take my guitar through every time and most of the time it's never been weighed!

There, that's got you thinking asn't it!

Wales
Level Contributor
814 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

CF, I can't believe anybody would wera their wedding dress on the plane! lol! It takes all sorts I suppose, at least she didn't have to worry about it getting lost.

Re: The guitar case, although it's a good idea, TC have a sort of measuring box which you put your hand luggage in and if it is bigger than this, it has to go in the hold. I am sure your guitar case is longer than the 17x11x9 inch max of TC's hand luggage allowance, unless of course, you have a folding one! lol!

With TC's stingy hand luggage allowance, a violin case would be more like it!

Lyni

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
804 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

This is how to steal from a padlocked suit case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFyEyjbblA

A way to stop it is to tie wrap (cable tie) the padlock to the case handle so it cannot be moved around the zip. If they break the tie wrap you will see that it has been tampered with. Or cling film wrap the complete suit case.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
739 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

Codfather

Surely it's a violin case you cary about with you?

;-)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

Yes, Lock your case with any form of lock.

London
Level Contributor
8,199 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you lock your suitcases?

I think when a case is tampered with its normally small items that go missing. Very difficult to discreetly take a wedding dress from a case. Do lock your case but of course whatever you do to the case, there is still chance of it winging its way to a different country by mistake - that is probably more of a worry.

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz