We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not long back from OD (review) and want to go again :)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Not long back from OD (review) and want to go again :)

Hi all

This is my first post although i have lurked for a while.

I'll start first by giving a little review of our (me and the wife) holiday. This was our first trip to Turkey and we wanted somewhere special with nice beaches, after much googling I ended up on this site on the Oludeniz forum. After much reading of this forum I booked a weeks holiday with Thomson and stayed B&B at the Montebello beach hotel.

We arrived at the hotel in the early hours of the morning and were taken down to our room which location wise was probably one of the worst rooms they have, it was just below ground level and right at the back with a broken table tennis table and overgrown bushes for views but whilst the room was basic it was clean and the staff were very friendly. They served traditional Turkish breakfast which was ok but even after a few days became boring. Neither of us liked the local beer (effes) and from what we could see the Montebello didn't sell imported beers so the only thing we did drink there was Coke at 5TL for 2 half pint glasses.

Other problems with the hotel were Doors slamming through the early hours (you have to slam them to lock them) we witnessed Bar staff eating then using same hand to scoop ice out of freezer and put it in drink. They also had a novel way of cleaning cutlery by wiping it on the edge of tablecloth. We also had a meal at the Montebello's Olive Grove and while the main course was nice the Lemon meringue at 10TL was so past it's sell by date the meringue was like rubber and couldn't be consumed but the staff make such an effort (petals on table etc.) I just couldn't say anything.

Oludeniz was amazing though. We spent nearly all of our time outside the hotel. The weather was perfect but did get a little too hot the day we went to Kayakoy in the 40's. We went to sugar beach which was free but we found the main (national park) part of the Lagoon to be best but at a cost for the 2 of us it was 7TL to get in then a further 18TL for 2 sun beds and parasol. There's also the main beach which was nice but we fell in love with the Lagoon so kept going there.

The main street and front of Oludeniz is very busy but still quite nice to walk around and there's lots of Markets (shops) and restaurants . The Turks do hassle you a little to buy or eat but a friendly "No thanks" is enough.

Night time in Oludinez is just fantastic, Our routine at night was to have a meal (Bella Gusto and Buzz Bar were our faves), Walk round the front and main street and finally chilling out on the beanbags on the beach with a drink listening to some fantastic chillout music (This was Heaven on earth), Eventually we would head back for some more door slamming at the Montebello!

Excursions . We booked a couple of these, Jeep Safari and 12 Island Gullet boat trip with Focus at £12 each for each trip (£48 total) both excursions included lunch and both lunches were very nice. The safara was great fun and lasted all day 8am - 7.30pm we visited some great places and had a good laugh on the way, word of advice take a big water bottle and some waterproof bags to put Camera's in etc. The 12 island excursion lasted all day as well 9.15 - 8pm and was heavenly , it was like sailing around paradise. Loved diving in off the boat into the lovely warm clean clear sea and swimming out to the islands. We stopped at 4 islands which was plenty. I highly recomend both these excursions.

We also got the minibus (Dolmus) to Hisaronu and Kayakoy both of these were nice enough but the ghost Village wasn't as interesting as we thought it would be and Hisaronu was not as nice as Oludeniz.

Oludeniz is not cheap, prices are comparable to London and I did find myself opening my wallet allot more than I expected! Like I said earlier we didn't like the local beer and we were paying between 6 - 8TL for a bottle of Becks or Fosters. Soft drinks were about 4TL each. The excursions are are excellent value for money but there are lots of opportunities for you to spend money on these trips (there not daft) but you don't have to.

We found the local AZDA down the escalator on the main street to be invaluable. 500ml Bottled water 0.35TL, Coke, Sprite etc. 2LT Bottles were 2TL and Cold out the fridge. It's about the cheapest place in Oludeniz, Stock up there for snacks at your hotel and before you head to the Beach :)

The only problem with Oludeniz is you find yourself wanting to go back rather than trying somewhere else! So now I'm looking to go back next year and take our 2 teenage boys with us. There's so much we still want to do like paragliding etc. and I know our lads will love Oludeniz the only problem is cost :(

Next years a bit tight for us and we only have around £3000 for a Holiday and From what I've seen so far it's not really enough for a half decent A.I. hotel for the 4 of us :(

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Montebello Resort
Montebello Resort
1,164 Reviews
Oludeniz, Turkey
Kayakoy
Kayakoy
1,230 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Bella Gusto
Bella Gusto
882 Reviews
Oludeniz, Turkey
Buzz Bar
Buzz Bar
2,661 Reviews
Oludeniz, Turkey
Hisaronu
Hisaronu
Mugla Province, Turkey
London
London
England, UK
North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not long back from OD (review) and want to go again :)

How's Nottingham now days, used to dlot of gigs at the Del Toro bar/restaurant. Is it still there!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not long back from OD (review) and want to go again :)

Would agree with all your comments, although we stayed in a small family run hotel in ovacik, where we got a dolmus to either hisaronu or olu deniz, around 10 - 15 journey.

We paid around £330 from edinburgh for half board, and was worth the money we felt, this was for a week, and booked around three weeks in advance via travel republic who we have used before. We spent most evenings in OD and every second day we did a boat trip, two 12 island trips, one from OD and one from Fethie, both £10 including lunch. We also did one to Gocek market, but went more for the boat trip than the market. This wasnt such good value, around £8 not including lunch.

We didnt really find the drinks any more expensive,in fact cheaper than Edinburgh to be honest. Loved Bella Gusto, visited this once as to be honest meals were so good in hotel that we only ventured out this one time, but did think we would do every second night!

Hope you find somewhere reasonable for next year.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Bella Gusto
Bella Gusto
882 Reviews
Oludeniz, Turkey
Nottingham
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not long back from OD (review) and want to go again :)

Sorry Codfather never heard of "Del Toro bar/restaurant" and not much as changed in Nottingham accept County as acquired some wealthy Middle Eastern backers, Sven Goran Eriksson and Sol Campbell.

Thanks for your comments lorrained, I was searching for deals last night and came up with 10 nights HB at the Asena Beach for the 4 of us including transfers etc. around £1600 with Thomas Cook and going DIY 10 Days HB at the Montebello Beach about the same.

I know it must of sounded like i really didn't like the Montebello from my 1st post but i did there were just a few niggles i had with it and like i said the staff and cleaning lady were great. Also sure if we had a better room it would have made a difference so i'm not ruling montebello beach out.

So as long as i don't book with Thomson i may be able to afford to go next year too :)

Whats the best time of year to go, by that i mean Sunny Warm and cheap? and does anyone have any experience with the Asena Beach Hotel?

Thanks guys

Mentioned in this post
Montebello Resort
Montebello Resort
1,164 Reviews
Oludeniz, Turkey
4. Re: Not long back from OD (review) and want to go again :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz