We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency confusion!

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Sussex
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Currency confusion!

Am off to Olu Deniz for a week next Monday and have been told by different people to take either sterling/euro/lira!

Am confused - what is the best currency to take?

Also, is the entry visa still GBP£10?

Thanks,

Rushden
Level Contributor
122 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency confusion!

Yes still £10.00 for entry visa.

I always just take enough lira for tips when I arrive (for lad who takes luggage to room).

The rest I take in Sterling and change when I get there - much better exchange rates than rip off England!

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
6,728 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency confusion!

i think the confusion arises because a lot of prices are displayed in Euros alongside the lira. This is for ease as pre Euro days the prices were displayed in lira, GBP, French Franc, German DM etc. It's just made it easier for shop keepers etc to show 2 prices.

Don't change your money to Euros - there's really no need whatsoever.

Rule of thumb seems to be to take enough lira for you first day or so and then either exchange sterling as you need it or use the ATMs to draw money. Some English banks though do charge for this. Check yours. Nationwide is one that doesn't.

Also do not buy travellers cheques either. They are a real pain to exchange, attract a poor rate and often a commission charge.

Have a great time!

3. Re: Currency confusion!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 06:19