We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing own food on flights

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dmt313
Level Contributor
64 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing own food on flights

I'm flying no frills, east midlands to Dalaman in Aug. No meal booked for flights. Can you take food onto the plane bought from outside the airport?

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing own food on flights

I have never done this, but on my last flight there were some people eating their food & drinking their drinks, This was a Thomas Cook Flight. If in future a travel on a No Frils Flight, I will certainly take some thing to eat of my own, as I once booked an Aircraft Meal & I never received it, & they did not have enough Sarni`s to sell or give me.

So better safe than sorry.

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing own food on flights

no ,you cant take food or drinks thro passport control but it can be bought in the departure lounge after passport control.

Taunton, United...
Destination Expert
for Makadi Bay
Level Contributor
868 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing own food on flights

You can take food through, surely. The security restrictions apply only to liquids, I thought. I've certainly taken sandwiches onto flights many times.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing own food on flights

Of course you can take food through (better putting it in the sealed bags you can buy) never had a problem -and as mentioned drinks can be purchased once through the check ins.

Edited: 01 April 2010, 16:52
Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing own food on flights

I thought it was as read, bring your own food & buy the drinks once on the Airside, i.e,. Boots, W.H. Smith.

As said, food is OK, liqueds are not, only those purchased after you have gone through security checks

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing own food on flights

Hi all,

Last year we flew (April) from Exeter to Madeira and (September) from Bournemouth to Dalaman both times with Thompson.

We took our own food both times and in both directions and were not stopped going through customs at either end.

We ate on the flights and were not bothered by the trolly dollies as they were far to busy to bother with us. Mind you we did buy their drinks to go with it.

Also on a legal note... I am a diabetic and try to take my tablets and eat at set times... I dont think the airlines would want the bad press if they tried to stop me, or anyone else eating something when I/they have to!

I hope that this helps.

Peter & Jean. :o)

Edited: 01 April 2010, 18:08
notts
Level Contributor
299 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing own food on flights

We take our own food,then buy a bottle of water once we've gone through passport control,never had a problem.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,554 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing own food on flights

Hi again,

A question roughly on the same subject.

Last year at Dalaman we had been warned that food and drink was very expensive at the airport but that the custons were NOT stopping you from taking drinks through.

This turned out to be correct on both counts and we carried large bottles of water, that we had bought in Marmaris, through the customs.

There was talk that this would be stopped although this had been prommised several times and canceled each time at the last minute.

Has this now been stopped or is it still possible to carry liquids through?

Thanks,

Peter & Jean. :o)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing own food on flights

There was a post a few days ago on the Icmeler forum by Suemackey titled 'Water Restrictions' saying that the restrictions have now come into effect and she provided a link to a site with the details.Sorry :(

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing own food on flights

Agree with food yes - drinks no bit!!

A funny story (well I think so...!) I recently flew from Luton to Spain by Easyjet and the guy going through Customs b4 me had bought some ready meals in the M&S that is very conveniently located right as you enter the airport (and was desperately trying to stash the carrier bag into his laptop case...)

Anyway they stopped him - not cos of the fact of any liquids in the ready meals - but because one was chicken in some sort of curry (ie chilli ) sauce and they said he wasn't allowed to take chillies through! They did offer him the chance of taking the chicken out and ditching the hot sauce which he - reluctantly - declined!!

Sometimes I do think - has the whole world gone crazy???

(Now I do know that chillies has something to do with the attempted airline attack in the US at Christmas - but still - I thought the whole thing farcical to say the least!)

Edited: 01 April 2010, 19:23
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz