We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
NORTHANMPTON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
taking sterling or using atm

We are going to Olu Deniz in 3 weeks and would like to hear your opinions if its better to taken £ sterling or use an ATM( how many is there), I have so many questions to ask, where is the nearest market, also restaurant recommendations too please, thanks in advance . Angela

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,806 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking sterling or using atm

Cash sterling for me and plety of ATMs (around 8) if you need a top up.

Have a look at the top questions regarding your other points, any finer points just get back.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking sterling or using atm

Hi corfucrazy,

Last year we had the same dilema.

We were going to Marmaris after several years away from Turkey.

I did not want to trust the ATMs as I had not used them in Turkey before so I took cash.

However I need not have worried as the ATMs worked very well and we had no problems.

However they have two down sides.

Firstly, many card companies charge you for the privilege, although there are a few that don't. We use a Santander Zero card.

Secondly, you can get a better rate of exchange with cash that you get with a machine. On top of this, if you use sterling for direct purchases many retailers will give you an even better deal.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice... sorry could not resist that one!

I hope this helps, have a great time and let us all know how you get on.

Peter & Jean. :o)

NORTHANMPTON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taking sterling or using atm

Peter and Jean

We also went to Marmaris 14 years ago and said never again to Turkey but over the years I fancy Turkey again, I think we just chose the wrong resort and it was my first foreign holiday and was a bit of a shock how pushy they were. Then we were getting a much better deal for our ££ rather than using atm/travellers cheques. I have decided I will just take the cash and use the atm if needed. Much appreciated on the advice.

Regard

Angela

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taking sterling or using atm

Hi Angela,

We had been to several places in Turkey with various results. Some great and some like Side absolutely terrible!

However we did not give up on Turkey although for other reasons we did not go back for several years.

We then decided to go to Marmaris last year.

There were three of us, Jean & I in our 60s and Mum who was 86 at the time.

We had a fabulous time. The powers that be in Marmaris have addressed the problem of over zealous locals and they are now much less pushy.

This year Mum is unable to fly (although she should be OK later in the year) so Jean and I are taking a week to see the Fethiye/Hisaronu/Oludeniz area.

Jean has always wanted to see Oludeniz and Hisaronu seems to be ideal as it lies between Olu and Fethiye and give us all the options.

Yes it will be mostly cash for us too, also with the back up of the ATM card.

We hope that you have a fantastic time and become fans of Turkey.

All the best,

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taking sterling or using atm

Hi corfucrazy,

I have sent you a PM ref restaurants.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taking sterling or using atm

I have to say, I have always got a good rate from using the ATM Machines, it does have to be down to your Card Provider, last year it was better than using cash, just a slight improvement on the rates offered in resort (Hisaranou) but in my opinion safer than taking cash. Although saying that I do take cash as well as my Card. I like the Belt & Braces approach. Plus again this year in Side, the rate given by my Card provider was higher than being given by the Post Office/Bank or Exchanges.

So going back to your question, it depends whos Debit Card you are using. i.e. which Bank/Building Society

NORTHANMPTON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taking sterling or using atm

Peter & Jean

thanks for taking the time to reply, I really feel like im being unfaithful to Corfu this year as we have made so many friends over the years and pick up where where we dropped off the previous year.....but last year was just soooo expensive we spent 2 weeks of our spends in 5 days... ive always wanted to give turkey another go so here we are...and now my daughter is wanting to explore further than corfu so its a compromise for me ...x

Angela

Blyth...
Level Contributor
729 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taking sterling or using atm

Hi Corfucrazy.

You will not regret giving Turkey another go. My dad went to marmaris on a day trip and still claims if he had been staying there he would never returned to turkey again. He is coming with us this year for the seventh time!

In Hisaronu the heads of house can be a little pushy, but just walk down the middle of the road when it closes. We didnt find them too bad though.

I went to Corfu in the early 90's to Sidari. Has it changed much?

sheffield
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: taking sterling or using atm

we went to sidari bout 5 years ago.didnt like the place at all,it was just too british .....coronation street showing in some of the bars,british food available in british style pubs(we obvoisly avoided these places)but we are also trying turkey for the first time after going to many different greek resorts.i dont think anywhere is cheap to holiday now ,its fair to expect to pay about the same for food and drink as you would at home............really looking forward to trying O.D. tho..........3 weeks to go.......sorry to hijack the thread.

NORTHANMPTON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taking sterling or using atm

RobnSonya

Sidari has changed quite a bit over the years, we stay in Canal D 'amour which is like a little resort itself and away from the hustle and bustle of Sidari, has some fab beaches off the beaten track, we always hire a car and explore the island. I will be sad not to go to Corfu this year but it will be there next year(unless I fall in love with Turkey ;-) )

Angela

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz
Recent Conversations