We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level Contributor
161 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic

Has anyone tried paragliding in olu deniz? It looks amazing...

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Paragliding

the company was gravity. i done it the day before the accident and thought it was totally amazing. cost me £53, i done it with focus.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Paragliding

Hi dolphintomo, my hubby paid £65 to go with Re-Action and he paid an extra £40 to purchase the photos and video footage that the pilot took of them both, and it is fantastic to watch and scenery is beautiful, so worth getting the pics and film footage when doing a once in a life-time thing like this.

Level Contributor
6,456 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Paragliding

When in Ovacik recently we used to watch all the paragliders from our hotel pool area. Then one day we noticed a helicopter circling for hours on end and no paragliders at all were in sight. We later found out that there had been a tragic accident.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Paragliding

Hi there

I am a solo (lady) pilot and go to Olu Deniz regularly for the paragliding as Babadag is such an amazing place to fly. Yes it was tragic with the recent deaths, i saw the accident from the hotel, heard the helicopter and guessed what had happened, but later that day I still went up and flew. The accident has been put down to pilot error, but instead of speculating, i think everyone should wait until the accident has been investigated properly.

If you get a chance to fly Babadag on a tandem, take it!! I alway recomend Sky Sports as they have looked after me every time i go there. I always use them for tranfers up the mountain, and know them all well now as friends. Yes they are more expensive, there are lots of good reasons for that but its up to you who you go with.

Hundreds of tandems go up all day long all through the season. Think about how many car accidents there are in the UK and put this tradgedy in to perspective.

Paragliding in Olu Deniz is a must!!

Hope this helps

guildford, uk
12 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Paragliding

i just came back from a nice week long holiday from olu deniz and both myself and my gf did the paragliding. it was, needless to say, absolutely amazing.

all must be warned: we were told by other british tourists (just before our flight and after a heavy deposit has been paid) that there are around 10 deaths per season due to paragliding. And there were 5 deaths over the 2 weeks before we got there. that is not a good odd!

in hind sight, we were still quite stupid not to have just walked away.

i feel reluctant to be so dramatic, but i think, i for one, would much rather know the facts before i decide to book a flight.

therefore, i must emphasise the need to go with a reputable company with insurance, good pilots. and most of all, listen to everything the pilot has to say and do eactly what he says! if you do all those things, there is almost no chance of things going wrong.

i must be fair to the paragliding business and say that a lot of the accidents were apparently solo flyers rather than tandem flyers. and some people were just careless. for example, this guy undid his buckles when he and the pilot were waiting for the wind condition to get right, and when it was right, they simply took off, forgetting that he had undone his buckles. he fell straightaway and tumbled down the steep rocky cliff face.

we personaly went with easy rider. they looked trustworthy; they had been approved by a central governing body; they had insurance; they had a shop on the olu deniz highstreet; and they claimed that they haven't had any accidents since 1993 (when they started the company). for both of us, we paid 300 turkish lira, which was about £55 each at the time.

the flight wasn't timed, but for me, i wouldn't think there would be too much difference from 20 minutes to 40 minutes. you get to see everything regardless. the entire flight felt very safe, even when we were doing the acrobatics. it wasn't my choice to do the acrobatics since i believed that it would increase the chances of an accident but he didn't give me much of a choice and i really got into it before i could say no. plus, much of this part of the flight was over water, so i figured that it might not be fatal had i fell. sorry.

anyways, be safe. im sure we all have too much to lose if something did happen to any of us.

16. Re: Paragliding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz
Recent Conversations