We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's in Olu Deniz?

Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Must do's in Olu Deniz?

Hi all,

We are booked into the Blue Star Hotel mid august, it is also our first time to Turkey!

Can you give us some must do's whilst there along with places to visit and eat in?

I've heard about beach bbq's etc, and we are going to Fethiye market on the Tuesday.....but that's all we have planned!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jo

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

We stayed in Ovacik and visited 2 beaches on different days in Olu Deniz. One was Paradise Beach but wouldnt rave about it. However, we also visited Sugar Beach and really liked it there. I do think it is worth a visit. You can ask them to collect you from your hotel and they will drop you off again at a time of your choice. Theres contact details on their website:

http://www.thesugarbeachclub.com/

Hull
Level Contributor
238 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

Do a Turkish bath when you first arrive.

Eat at Toscana Beach. In fact all the restaurants down there are much cheaper than the ones on the main strip and beach front and just as tasty.

Spend a day at the lagoon. We liked Billy's best. (Also found it cheapest for loungers).

Make sure you get to Fethiye market early as it is sooo hot!

Visit Kayakoy, again get there early, full of excursion companies later on in the day. Don't eat at Muzzy's.

Take me in your suitcase!

Enjoy! Take plenty of suncream, we got back Friday and it's ridiculously hot already.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

Drink and or eat upstairs at the Buzz bar.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
79 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

We went to KayaKoy and visited the ghost village made our own way on dolmus,found it really interesting ,then went to Muzzy's we had a lovely meal and drinks followed by pancakes later.Drinks were the same price as in Olu Deniz..Wonder if the meals and drinks differ when trips call there.We had a lovely day and went back again ,they picked us up and dropped us back off free of charge.You can use the pool or relax on the beanbags really quite and relaxing.

Hull
Level Contributor
238 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

When we went to Muzzy's a week ago today it was late afternoon so maybe that made a difference, but everything was really grubby. It was an open buffet with barely anything left, and pretty much everything was inedible. I think it was 3 lira for a small bottle of water. The guide had told us beforehand so many bought drinks from the driver, took them inside and had them taken away by restaurant staff. A family told us they had to pay to get them back but how true that is I don't know.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

I was unimpressed with Muzzy's too, there are far nicer places to eat in Kayakoy!

You definitely have to watch the sunset in Oludeniz from somewhere like Buzz Bar, but you have to book in advance for that time of night as it gets very busy!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

For excellent Turkish food, at a good price, eat at Mozaik Bahce in Fethiye. we ate there this year, and it was one of the highlights of our holiday.

Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

Thanks everyone, there are a few ideas there :0) what time is sunset this time of year??? and is the heat bearable?

Also, drinking water, heard lots of stories of tummy bugs in first few days! Which wouldn't be good when we only have a week...

wakefield
Level Contributor
338 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

I have never had a tummy bug touch wood and been going now for the past 7 yrs i always drink bottled water

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
356 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do's in Olu Deniz?

Sunset at the moment is just after 8pm and it will probably be around 7:30pm by the end of August. It's been hot the last few days and will probably get hotter in August - but there's usually a breeze in Ölüdeniz that will cool you down a little. The good thing so far this year is that it hasn't been as humid as other years.

As for drinking water, we drink it all the time - and visiting friends usually drink it too without any problems. That said, we have had a few friends get (minor) stomach upsets but you can never be sure what causes it. It could be a change of food or too much sun that is to blame rather than the water. But, if you aren't 100% confident about drinking tap water, then bottled water is pretty cheap and easily available. As you say, if you are only here for a week then maybe best to take no risks at all.

Here are our lists of Must-Sees in the area:

turkeysforlife.com/p/10-fethiye-must-sees-do…

and here are the places where we like to eat:

turkeysforlife.com/p/fethiye-eating-drinking…

If we had to pick out a shortlist of things to do in a week (apart from just enjoying being in Ölüdeniz), then we'd probably watch a sunset at The Sundial, have a DIY barbecue in Kayaköy and have a day on a boat. (Oh, and a meal at Fethiye fish market too).

Hope you have a really lovely time here Jo!

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz