We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to visit

Hi all,, having thought long and hard about it,, we have decided against the organised jeep safari and decided to hire our own jeep for one of our two weeks,, mainly because neither of us fancied the water fights!!

We would appreciate any suggestions for the best places to visit within about a two hour journey from oludeniz,, beaches, places of interest, nice towns and villages etc.... also does anyone know the cost of fuel over there at the moment

thanks in advance :-)

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit

We hired a car for 3 days and visited Tlos, Sakliikent and Kalkan, all of which are very nice but in reality the weather was way too hot to be driving around in. Whilst we didn't go to them there are a number of nice beaches in the area which I understand are worth a visit.

A couple of words of warning, get a good map and stick, where you can to the main roads. We were sent down a road which eventually just run out and turned into a track which I suppose wouldn't be too bad if your in a jeep, but it did run perilously close to the cliff edge. We also drove over a road which had been recently tarmacked, I use the phrase loosely as I think all they do is pour and sweep tar over the existing surface, and we then had to spend an hour or so in a carwash whilst the staff worked for over an hour to remove the layer of tar which had enveloped the car.

Sorry I didn't take much notice of the cost of the petrol.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,267 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit

Why not just hire a car. We always get a car and it's much cooler with the Air Con on. We have been to Tlos, and Yaka Park and Sakillkent. If you have not been to Yaka Park it's well worth a visit. It's a restaurant in the moutains with lovely waterfalls. They have a trout farm and you will get the freshest bbq trout whilst sitting on tradtional turkish low tables and benches. The bar has baby trout swimming along it. It you go to You Tube and put in Yaka Park you will get the idea. A word of warning there are a couple of fake Yaka Park's so get the real one. After Yaka you can go on to Sakilkent. This trip can be done in a day. Another nice trip is to Kas which is a very pretty place with a beautiful beach, they have lovely restaurants overlooking the beach and very pretty shops in winding streets. A trip to Gocek is nice and not too far. Go on Sunday and take in the Market then have lunch at the Marina and look at all the lovely big Yachts.

Have a run to Calis Beach. There is a lovely cool breeze down at the restaurants along the prom. See the best sunsets ever, if you are lucky you may see some dolphins and even the turtles. There is also an Aqua Park at Calis.

Most of the hire car companies will give you a map, and the roads are quite well signposted to the places I have mentioned. When you go into the Garages for petorl it's quite a novelty to get someone to serve you with petrol and wash the windscreen.

Edited: 24 August 2011, 18:29
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit

But a jeep is so much more fun than a car, and you can add to your tan whilst your driving!

You could take in Patara beach and Xanthos, and I'd agree with Frances-Jane that a trip to Kas is a good one. A good place for a spot of lunch whilst you're sightseeing.

Although we have been to Yaka Park when visiting Saklikent and Tlos, we prefer to stop for our fresh trout at one of the small restaurants advertising by the road. Excellent service, good food, and very cheap.

Fuel is expensive in Turkey, even more so than here. Don't remember what it wa early July, but it was more expensive than at home.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit

Jeep more fun - yes - but there a number of negatives that you need to think about.

It has very little protection from the sun, and because of the breeze on the move its very easy to get too much sun.

No secure place to leave anything as there is no boot

The protection offered in the event of even a small "bump" is very poor compared to even a small car.

Roadholding is not what they are designed for, so even more care needed when driving.

Cost - they tend to be more expensive to hire and they use more fuel.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit

You are, of course, absolutely right, FF. But I still personally prefer a jeep for some reason. Not that we drive one at home, but it's just so good on holiday.

Of course, you should also take more care when driving in a foreign country, on roads you do not know.

It is good, though, Tracy, to get out and about by yourselves, rather than on organised trips. You can choose where you go, how long you want to spend there and....big bonus....you don't have to visit a single carpet factory!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit

Thanks everyone for all your advice,, now have many ideas running round in my head,, just cant wait to get there,, 5 more sleeps to go,,, 'Sigh' ....

charlotte
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit

Take a trıp to Kaş, go on a boat trıp to Kekova, the sunken cıty. It's very cool, no matter what kınd of vehıcle you use to get there. Go out to Uzumlu, just because ıs's off the beaten track abıt and the scenery ıs lovely.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit

Hi Tara, was just wondering if Uzumlu might be a bit too touristy now and if there were any other similar places, a bit more real, u'd recommend we visit - Thanks

9. Re: Places to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 21:18