We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food!

newcastle
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
food!

Anyone got any favourite turkish dishes to advise on.....i want to try the different dishes but never no what to order so end up eating boring english food :(

Scotland
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food!

Sassy I usually just point at what I want to try or ask for recommendation, lol. Maybe not the best way to go about it but I get to try something different

London, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food!

Hi!

My wife loves the iskender and I love EVERYTHING haha! Manti is quite nice it's abit like ravioli. Can't get enough of the Coban salatasi especially when it's nice n spicy.

Fresh fish is always great and they really know how to grill a good dish

rotherham
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food!

I personaly like Kleftico, ( slow cooked lamb on the bone ) .But usualy look on menu and just ask what it is and if it sounds nice i try it,and more often than not i usualy like it..Or same as Alison says ask what they recomend..

WENDY

DUNSTABLE
Level Contributor
303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food!

Turkish mezes are lovely

Have a look at turkeys for life it's a great web site with loads of interesting posts and lots of info on food

www.turkeysforlife.com

Also ask the waiters for a recommendation we've had loads of dishes would would never usually try and loved most of them

newcastle
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food!

i love trying new things but i need 2 see wot things look like before i try anything new, i will just have to spy on other peoples meals n see what theirs look like haha

DUNSTABLE
Level Contributor
303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food!

Turkish mezes are lovely

Have a look at turkeys for life it's a great web site with loads of interesting posts and lots of info on food

www.turkeysforlife.com

Also ask the waiters for a recommendation we've had loads of dishes would would never usually try and loved most of them

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,419 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food!

Tavuk Topkapi.... (Chicken Topkapi)... My absolute favourite.

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
356 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food!

Many thanks for the mention ONYER - very much appreciated :))

Here's one of our posts about Turkish Meze:

turkeysforlife.com/2011/06/turkish-food-meze…

and here is our Facebook photo album of Turkish food & recipes:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

If you haven't already been, then you must go to Mozaik Bahçe in Fethiye - and just order *anything* off the menu. All of their Turkish dishes are fantastic.

And, try one of the DIY barbecue places in Kayaköy for Turkish meze while you cook your own meat on the BBQ. Our personal favourite is CinBal (probably just because it was the first one we ever went to) but all of them are great. Look out for signs in Kayaköy saying "Kendin Pişir, Kendin Ye" (Cook It Yourself, Eat It Yourself).

Afiyet Olsun!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
533 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food!

On a lunch time I love a Pide. It is similiar to a pizza (but much much nicer). It is a very thin pizza type base and I like a topping of very fine spicey minced meat. It can be served with a side dish of chopped tomatoes, cucumber and onions and herbs along with a serving of a minty yogurt sauce. Bootifulllll.....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: food!

If you like cheese try a ' Peynir Borek ' or cheese pastry - looks like a long Spring Roll but baked not fried - pastry filled with delicious Turkish cheese and herbs. It is usually listed under the ' hot starters' on the menu.