We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tummy bugs

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tummy bugs

Hi all,

Much a I love Olu, have to say that every time I have been there, I have gotten a bug. Any tips on how to avoid this? Should I avoid the ubiquitous salad? Or beer on tap? Certain foods?

Ta muchly

Clacton-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
944 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tummy bugs

if you are brushing your teeth in tap water that can cause a problem use bottled water

beer no probs or salad

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
142 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tummy bugs

Hi

It was our first time in Turkey last year and i took half the pharmacy with me as 6 children and was so worried about tummy bugs and ear aches. We all ate salad drank from the drink pumps and brushed our teeth in tap water and not one dodgy tummy. I dont know if its just luck. Cant wait to be back in August. Hope you have a great holiday.

Mandie

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tummy bugs

Try not to mix too many types of food at any one sitting until your body gets used to the Turkish fauna. It's not the food or water; it's more the introduction of so many new bacteria (the good kind) that overwhelms the gut.

London, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tummy bugs

My husband found that when he ate the sauces on the kebabs that caused him to get a real bad stomach and sweats yet i was fine as i eat all sauces anyway, so As scbc says try be careful with too many new foods in 1 go maybe.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tummy bugs

You can get an upset tummy by getting to much sun and becoming dehyrated so be careful in the sun and drink lots of water.

Also don't drink too much alcohol as that will affect you too. Draft beer wont harm you only excess of it ;-) Excess of rich foods may also upset your tummy if you aren't used to it, although it wont give you a bug.

Don't worry about the salads, the ice or using tap water to brush your teeth, none of those things will give you a tummy bug either.

If you are going to a AI hotel be careful of the buffet food, make sure it is hot and hasn't been sitting around too long and be wary of anything that looks like it has been reheated, that is the main cause of a tummy bug.

Drinking Ayran or eating yogurt is a great way of keeping your tummy happy too, it really settles it down.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
782 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tummy bugs

I'm with KY, plenty of Ayran and plenty of water.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tummy bugs

I was advised some time ago not to drink too much bottled water if it is ice cold (can give your stomach a " chill") also Ayran is good for the guts.

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tummy bugs

What's Ayran?

Oludeniz, Turkey
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tummy bugs

Ayran is a yoghurt drink and is very popular.

charlotte
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tummy bugs

Salad can be washed in tap water, which you shouldn't drink in Olu. If your stomach acts up, stick to bananas, rice, apples, toast (the brat diet) and you should feel better quite quickly.