We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange stirling/turkish lira

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Crowborough
1 post
Save Topic
money exchange stirling/turkish lira

We're going to Ovacik in August, how do people recommend you take your money. Have thought about taking Turkish Lira with us, but wondered if it would be better to take the pre loaded cards or Stirling Travellers Cheques, I know that some people have said that lots of the shops take stirling, does that mean that goods are piced up in Turkish Lira and Stirling. Can anyone help a rather bemused traveller.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

Hi Susan, the general consensus from seasoned visitors is to take some Lira (say £50/100) to get you by- for the first day or so. Then whilst there change your sterling to Lira- as you get a much better rate over there than here- with no commission charge- however, always check your money before leaving and consider it's a lot easier if you change in denominations of £100s- as it's very easy to check the amount.

Edited: 24 June 2012, 12:19
Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

Avoid using the Exchange Bureau in Hisaronu as there have been a number of reports of them short-changing. Either go to the PTT (Post Office) at the top of the village near the market or use one of the jewellers that display their exchange rates clearly.

swinton,south...
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

Hi Susan B,

Personally don't touch the pr-loaded, we pre-loaded £1,000 in in £ sterling, charge 2% to load it, so cost us £1020, then charged £1.50 atm fee, everytime used it.

There is no charge to load euros, american dollars etc, when we drew lira out we got 2.18 & 2.19 to £ sterling, where has in resort it was 2.35.

You can withdraw sterlingout, but why pay a 2% load charge.

What I would do is get £50 of Turkish lira, to put you on, rest in £ notes, get a safe at your hotel or apartment if they have them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

We take some T L ; then as and when we need to draw sterling from cashpoint In OD and change at Josephs ;down main strip ;he normally gives best deal !!! but always check before you leave premises ;as you would here !!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

I always take about 200 TL to start us off then when i need my stirling changed i go to the leather bag shop on Olu Deniz strip where the lovely Welsh lady is she is so cheerful and friendly their rate is always good remember seeing a thread on TA puttin me off goin to the money exchange shop futher down the strip as they we reported of short changing there you work hard enough with out anybody scaming you but saying that it happens all over the place even in Britain

Edited: 24 June 2012, 20:02
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

The lovely welsh lady is Gladys who always gives a better rate, works it out infront of you, and counts it out also.

She's lovely to chat to let's you know the best places to eat.

We also went and had a chat with her after the earthquake for some reassurance lol :)

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

Wer abouts is the famous gladys's shop?! I know were azda and josephs is lol

Level Contributor
1,653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

Right at the top of main strip, last bag shop on the left, past the 3 ATM ,s, opposite Karbel supermarket :)

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

Thanks! (im guessin u mean the end furthest from the beach)

Wales
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money exchange stirling/turkish lira

Can you change traveller cheques in hisaronu if so where is the best and what sort of commission heard rumours of 25%.