We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy beach

londonhappytripper
Level Contributor
81 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Sandy beach

I am planning a holiday in this part of Turkey, but all hotels descriptions both in Oludeniz and Fethiye seem to be or a pebble beach, like most people I would definitely prefer a sandy beach, is there any hotel with a decent beach? my ideal one would be a 4 star within 5/10 walk to a town, please help!!

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
An Englishman abroad
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy beach

Hi there, my wife and I have been holidaying in Oludeniz for the past 4 or 5 years, I know all of the brochures and what have you say that Oludeniz is the best beach in Europe etc etc but they are wrong on both counts, firstly as you and I both know Turkey is in Asia Minor and not Europe, secondly the beach is very far from being anywhere near 'the best beach in Europe' by a country mile. The beach is in fact mainly pebbles and there is a rather steep drop off when you get into the water, it's also quite breezy down there. The best bits of the beach are probably at either end (though you do have to pay a small admission fee when you go to the lagoon end of the beach because it is designated as a national park). If you are looking for a slice of 'ethnic' Turkey then I am afraid you are about two years too late in Oludeniz, I can't speak for Fethiye because I have not visited there but beware of Oludeniz I think it is now Turkish for Blackpool which is a crying shame as it used to be such a lovely laid back place. Sadly we will not be returning. Hope this helps

Cardinal Sin

Mentioned in this post
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Europe
Europe
World
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy beach

OluDeniz has never been ethnic Turkey - it was built as a holiday resort - but Blackpool it aint!

Fethiye is a town and doesnt have a beach - the nearest beach is Calis Beach and that is stoney.

Olu Deniz beach is pebbly and I think its reputation for being one of the best beaches in Europe is from the scenic point of view. There are plenty of sandy beaches at the back of the lagoon, with plenty of free transfers to them. The only hotel I know at the back of the lagoon is Hotel Meri, but that would be a good 15 minute walk into the centre of OluDeniz

Mentioned in this post
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Calis Beach
Calis Beach
1,701 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Europe
Europe
World
Hotel Meri
Hotel Meri
184 Reviews
Oludeniz, Turkey
North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
7,139 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy beach

Oludeniz is pebbly as you enter the sea for around 10 mtrs but if this isn't sand- in the very middle of the beach- on this video link I need to know what it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5drL9l4MA5k

Belcekiz beach is a very good hotel right on the beach- the other sand only beaches are a further 15 minutes walk

By the way the video is from 2010 and it looks pretty laid back to me- it's all about when you visit.

Mentioned in this post
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
yorkshire
Level Contributor
79 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy beach

Nothing like Blackpool.

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandy beach

Nothing like Blackpool,, I hate Blackpool :)

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandy beach

The only similarity with Blackpool is that one has a tower and the other a Tower Hotel!

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Manchester
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandy beach

This will be our third year in Olu Deniz and believe me if it was anything like Blackpool I would not have returned. - or even gone in the first place.

The resort is getting busier, however I feel it is a nice busy!

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
londonhappytripper
Level Contributor
81 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandy beach

Thank you all for your replies, well Blackpoll or not, I am taking my holidays in Egypt where I will be certain to have nice sandy beaches, sorry Turkey!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Ampthill, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandy beach

I hope Cardinal Sin is very wrong....I fly out for my first visit to Olu Deniz in 12 days time & cannot wait!

Glenrothes, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandy beach

We've had many happy family holidays in Olu Deniz with lots of special memories. Its definitely not Blackpool in the Sun.....go to Marmaris that's Blackpool in the Sun. The resort has agreed gradually been getting busier on each visit. But myself and my wife love the place, and can say so far after each visit here we come home fully relaxed. The beach is pebbles and I recommend purchasing a pair of jelly shoes from one of the many little shops. It makes crossing and entering the sea a lot easier. It does have a shelf as you enter the sea, this is where the sea breaks forming little surf waves, believe me its great fun going in. There's lot's of nice restaurants for that special meals Bella Gusta is a good one on the front.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 21:29
Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Marmaris
Marmaris
Mugla Province, Turkey