We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oludeniz Turkey

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Oludeniz Turkey

Can someone plz tell me what is the minimum age to ride a quad bike in Oludeniz Turkey?

Edited: 04 August 2012, 18:29
Mentioned in this post
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Nelson, England...
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

17 yrs old on the road. but being Turkey on our Quad safari a lad of 15 rode one!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

Also make sure you get Dangerous/Hazardous Sport Insurance as your normal Travel Insurance will not cover this and any accidents with hospitalisation will be paid for by you or your family, including flights home. A medi vac home can cost as much as £30,000.

charlotte
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

Quad safari companies vary in regards to who they will allow to ride. Of course, any age can ride on the back of a double quad, but on the singles their insurance will cover someone 17 or older. However, they may give the person a road test and let them drive if they can manage the quads themselves. Be very careful with the cheaper companies because sometimes their insurance is not very good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

Thank you for your reply but I have made inquiries directly and the law says you have to be 16 years old minimum and a have a passport to prove it.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

You also need a full motorcycle licence to ride a quad on the road.

charlotte
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

I suppose they try to accommodate people wanting to ride, and the safaris are off-road so where a license is good, they may try to accommodate there, too. The law and insurance rules are often compatible but not always the same.

charlotte
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

David, I've rented out lots of quads for street use and not once have the quad rental companies asked for anything other than a regular drivers license and a credit card (to make sure you return it). I don't doubt what the law says at all, but that is how they are actually being rented out.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

"not once have the quad rental companies asked for anything other than a regular drivers license"

Yeah, well, the same guys will probably rent you a 100cc scooter which also requires a full motorbike licence. The onus is on you and if you were to have an accident you wouldn't be insured (neither medically nor third party) so it could get very expensive.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 19:33
charlotte
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

125cc bikes (helmets provided) and you're right - only minimum liablity insurance is included, so if you have an accident you'd better have your own health insurance. I don't know how UK car insurance companies work, but I was a corporate insurance agent in the States for many (many) years and have a good working knowledge of insurance. In some instances your car policy could cover you (if you have a motor cycle license), but then it's a whole other story if someone hits you....And this being a different country could contribute to their decision....This conversation could go on forever, but this is a travel forum, not an insurance forum, so I will stop. Why do I sense a chip on your shoulder, Davidm1? By telling you how it is here, it seems you have somehow been offended....

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oludeniz Turkey

"Why do I sense a chip on your shoulder, Davidm1? By telling you how it is here, it seems you have somehow been offended"

I don't know why you sense things, I'm not a psychiatrist. All I'm saying is what the law is, if you should choose to break it then it's your own problem.

Here's a guy who finds it offensive - Dean Livesley in Land of Lights...

"to ride a quad bike on the road requires a motorcycle license; do all the foreign holiday companies know about this? Last year I watched at least three convoys a day thunder pass my old house in the Kayakoy valley. Seeing the type of people in charge of these motorized machines I would bet less than 5% of the drivers actually had a motorbike license. So who is liable if there is an accident? I am sure the travel insurance company won’t pay up if they know the victim is riding without a valid license. Basically, it makes the whole tour operation illegal unless the rider has the valid paperwork. Do the holiday reps know about this when they are pushing their sales to make their petty commissions?" - landoflights.net/columnists/dean/field-for-r…

Edited: 08 August 2012, 12:32
Mentioned in this post
Kayakoy
Kayakoy
1,229 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey