We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

Newcastle upon tyne
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

Hi can anyone tell me how they got on at the hotel since April 2006. i have just booked today with Hays Travel, and the write up seems good but like everything once you start to read reviews you get nervous.

Betty Spagetti looks like were on the same flight as you, and staying at the same hotel lets hope its a good one

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

You might like to tell us which hotel you are refering to.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

if it's the Grand Ucel I think I may be the first to go as we go on 1st May. Not heard of anyone going earlier on the forums. I hope they do because then I will get and idea what to expect.

ashford, kent
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

I do really hope they have done the Grand Ucel up for your stay in May, it just so couldn't be any worse when it was under the name of 'Club Solaria' last August, I would not have kept an animal in that dump of a place, filthy and disgusting. Go onto website for Real Holiday Reports and punch in Club Solaria, Ovacik, see what everyone else had to say, all the same as me. I have printed them all off for my court proceedings against Goldtrail, they are utterly useless.!!! Good luck, I hope it has improved and you have a lovely holiday as Turkey is such a beautiful country, we will definately return but not to Ucel or with Goldtrail!!!.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
223 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

Hi I have founf the following info about the hotel

Came back from Hisaronu 2 days ago and the Grand Ucel is definately being totally refurbished and is run by the same people who own the Salhan. The building work looks pretty impressive and if they treat their guests like they do at the Salhan then I would definately recommend it.

for more info go to hisoranu.co.uk & it will tell you about the changes or also try granducel.com

Look forward to meeting you lotsoflove67

Newcastle upon tyne
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

Hi Betty

I too have found some more information on the hotel. It now has its own web site, and as you said looks impressive. the address is

http://www.granducel.com/

by the time we get there there wont be anything left to know about the place, lol i spoke with Rhiannon yesterday, and she also clarrified some points of worry for me too. She has just returned on Tuesday, so maybe that explains people not getting answeres to their e mail? who knows.

Looking forward to meeting you too.

York, England
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

Hi, I have just come back from this hotel, and it's the best I've been too. Very clean and the staff are friendly, anyone who has booked will are lucky to be going. We enjoyed it so much, we'll be going back in september

Newcastle upon tyne
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

well todays the day we go from Newcastle and after reading your report i cant wait.

thanks for the reply.

regards

julie

Newcastle upon tyne
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

well todays the day we go from Newcastle and after reading your report i cant wait.

thanks for the reply.

regards

julie

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
223 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

me too see you at the airport lots of love . will write full report when get back

leeds UK
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone stayed at the hotel yet?

Ive just got back from a weeks holiday at the Grand Ucel hotel in Ovacik and felt that I should write a review to balance out some of the negative feedback I had previously read. I had read lots of dubious things online before we set off and was expecting the worst just in case things started to go wrong. The flight from Manchester was delayed by 3 hours, which wasn’t a major big deal, but thought it might possibly be a sign of things to come. The flight over was fine and I was greatly relieved to be met by the Goldtrail reps at Dalaman Airport and directed onto the correct bus. They ticked off our names on a list and as soon as I realised they were aware that we were meant to be there, and had us down for the correct hotel, I calmed right down and started to enjoy my holiday (like I said id read some previous horror stories)

When we arrived at the Grand Ucel the sun was shining and it looked absolutely amazing. Much nicer than the photos on the website. The hotel looked clean and the check in was fantastic. We were in our hotel room about 5 minutes after we got off the bus. My boyfriend and me were expecting a twin room, but we were given a double room instead, which was great as it didn’t mean pushing the beds together. It was clear that the whole hotel had been completely refurbished .Our hotel room was brand new – you could still smell the paint a little bit. There was plenty of storage space and the shower room was lovely. It was a normal self contained-shower like in the UK with doors on, so the bathroom floor didn’t get wet. We had hot running water at any time, day or night. The bins were emptied and towels changed as often as necessary.

The hotel (and Hisaronu resort) was surprisingly quiet to say that we went in the school holidays. I was expecting it to be completely over run, but there were generally only a handful of people around the pool at any one time, and the same at the bar and restaurant. The positioning of the hotel is excellent – short Dolmus ride to Hisaronu, Oludeniz and Fethiye so it never takes you too long to get to where you need, and its really quiet compared to the other resorts, and also a bit cooler. The staff there were always falling over themselves to help you. They were absolutely fantastic. There always seem to be there as well. We would see them at 7.30am cleaning and preparing for breakfast and they were still there when we went to bed every night. A couple of them that we spoke to said that they get by on 5 hours sleep a night. (Hi to ‘Steve’ by the way – the head-waiter, who is an absolute gem) We were staying on a bed and breakfast basis. Turkish breakfast was included in the price, or you could pay for a full English breakfast. Both were great. We got an English breakfast on 2 days, which was really nice (although they boil their sausages rather than fry or grill them, which is really bizarre and we couldn’t eat them) The Turkish breakfast consisted of a boiled egg, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, cheese, bread, jam, and honey. The olives weren’t really for me but the rest was delicious and the bread over there is amazing. We ate lunch at the hotel once – chicken kebab which was very well prepared and presented and very cheap, and we ate dinner at the hotel on our last night – Ottoman Casserole at the recommendation of Steve the head waiter. This meal was the best meal I had eaten all holiday. We ate out somewhere different each night and the meals were always superb – with the exception of one, which was surprisingly at Salhan apartments just down the road. This hotel is owned by the same person as the Grand Ucel but obviously doesn’t have the same calibre of chef.

The restaurants in Hisaronu were all pretty quiet and consequently were always trying their best to try and draw you in from the street. It gets a bit tiresome, but the best thing to do is just smile and say “hello… no thank you” All the prices are generally the same and they sell similar sorts of dishes so its best to choose a restaurant that you like the look of rather than checking the menu, cos once they see you looking at the menu they will come out and try and drag you in.

I had been told before I went to Turkey that they are a very friendly nation and was very pessimistic thinking they are just like that to get business from you – and to an extent that is true, when the resort is quiet they are all competing for the same customers. But once you choose where to eat and sit down they treat you like royalty. They get a conversation going and lots of them are hilariously funny. They know that the better time you have in the restaurant the more likely you are to go back again and also recommend it to friends (I recommend the Sun Trap, The Piano Bar, and the Italian next door to Piano Bar but forgot what its called, the pizza there was the best I’ve ever had and the waiters were excellent and made us feel really welcome) Hisaronu itself is aimed very much for the English holiday makers. It pretty much like Blackpool abroad although lots more classy and better food. We even caught a bit of one of the England matches whilst we were away!! Haha. We generally avoided most of the bars and clubs to avoid the tourists, we didn’t mean to catch the England game, we were just going back for more of the cheap Sangria we discovered earlier that day when it was really quiet – oh how it changes at night!! Lots of sunburnt English getting drunk and rowdy every night – This isn’t my scene really but its quite easy to avoid. We had the perfect holiday in Ovacik. At the end of the day anyone who complains that they haven’t had the best time has not made enough effort to make their own holiday the best that it can be. We didn’t stay around the pool all day or sit drinking in bars or lie on Oludeniz beach, we made the best of our time doing excursions and activities. I would thoroughly recommend to anyone going on the 12 island boat trip and the Jeep safari which were both amazing. We also visited Kaykoy deserted village, which was ace, and went to the Tuesday Fethiye market. This was a bit too hectic for me and I wouldn’t go again unless I was looking to buy something specific. We just went for a look round. We did buy an excellent donner kebab there though. We also went paragliding off Babadag mountain which was out of this world and the highlight of our holiday. We also went to Oludeniz beach on one day, this was a bit disappointing to be honest. It is a pebbly beach and you cant really chill out there for long as it is far too hot, there is no breeze at all. It does look lovely though so I am glad we went there just so we can say we’ve been.

One minor gripe about the hotel though–an hour before our coach was due to pick us up I mentioned that we would settle out tab on the credit card and they said they didn’t accept credit cards!!! We had to quickly pack our clothes, book a taxi to take us to town to get some money from the cash point and come back to pay in cash. The coach to pick us up arrived about 2 minutes later! This caused us a major headache and it was a shame to have the stress right at the end of our holiday. Also… Dalaman airport on the way home was a complete nightmare. It was the most disorganised and cramped place I have ever been in in my life, it was terrible. We were also delayed for an hour with no word on why, they didn’t even tell us the flight was delayed! We just had to sit in the departure “lounge” and wait. These are the only negatives to the holiday though.

The Grand Ucel is expected to get a lot busier in the next few weeks as they have built a new aquapark. Unfortunately this wasn’t available at the time of our holiday but we could see it being built and it looks brilliant. I expect that once that is finished the Grand Ucel will be the best hotel in the area. I would definitely go back there again in the future and I wish the staff all the best with the coming season. Many thanks for giving me and my boyfriend the best holiday ever.

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz
Recent Conversations