We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fear of flying

Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fear of flying

Anyone got any good tips or suggestions to keep. Me calm during my flight to dalaman? I am so scared I almost cancel my hol every year, I just hate it when they close those doors and your stuck and can't get off if you want ???

Cambridge
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fear of flying

I know what you mean, although I love my holidays its the worry & sleepless nights weeks before I go made me wonder if it was worth it. I used to cling onto my husband on take off. I was having acupuncture a few years ago just before my holiday & she said how tense I was & when I told her of my fear she said soon sort that out, she then put needles in the back of neck ( I was thinking yeah right!!) my flying fears have not exactly disappeared but I am so much calmer & the sleepless nights have gone. Still a bit worried on take off though.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fear of flying

My daughter recently took a fear of flying course as nothing else seemed to help.

She said it certainly helped her on a recent flight but these are only available at certain airports.

cheshire
Level Contributor
768 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fear of flying

I am the same,but at least I have it under control now. Never go to the loo or undo my seatbelt though!

I close my eyes after safety info, when plane starts moving,and slowly count backwards from 500. I imagine myself writing them on a blackboard and wiping them off again. I hold my husbands hand,but dont grip it,and I dont open my eyes again until the ding dong sound goes off!! By which time I have reached zero. I saw this on tv a few years ago, it was paul mckenna I think. It works for me anyhow.

I used to be panic struck everytime I heard that sound,until I got told it was only the captain asking for a drink or summat. The other thing is watch for the stewardesses, if they are up and about then there is nothing amiss,the time there is a problem is when they strap themselves in if its not take off or landing.

Good luck with your flight hope it helps.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
506 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fear of flying

I think this video is brilliant at just explaining what happens during our flight.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayXvS5b9jVE

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fear of flying

I read an article in a magazine a while back, interview with a pilot & he said flying is the safest form of travel & said the dangerous part of his journey is the drive to the airport! That is now my mantra!

Heather x

Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fear of flying

Thanks so much everyone, I just hope I will fall asleep on the way there, and when we get to OD it will be worth it x

Connecticut
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fear of flying

Some persons regulate anxiety automatically and unconsciously. They developed such a profound sense of security early in life that when stress hormones are released, they respond with a sense of curiosity. They look to see what is going on. If they see no obvious danger, they regard it as a false alarm and drop the matter.

Not so for a person who does not develop automatic and unconscious regulation. When stress hormones are released, there is a sense of alarm. The person expects danger and starts looking for it. Worse, they may start imagining it! They can drop the matter only if absolute sure there is no possible danger. Stress hormones make many people think something is wrong. Then, they try to regulate anxiety consciously. But to regulate anxiety consciously, one has to a. rule out danger, b. be in control, or c. able to escape. None of these are possible when flying.

The only completely effective solution is to train the mind to regulate anxiety automatically and unconsciously.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fear of flying

valium.

Go to Dr and get prescription, you will be in a happy place!

I have it to go dentist!!

Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fear of flying

Hi all thanks for the feed back, I have now purchased from the doctor some diazapam so I,m sure I will be fine now and probably be asleep most of the flight he he 4 days to go and I will be in turkey xx

Connecticut
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fear of flying

Unless a person is going to fly only a few times in their entire life, medication is not an answer. Over time, it makes the problem worse.

Medication does not prevent hyperarousal; rather, it makes an anxious flier oblivious to hyperarousal. Research at the Stamford University School Of Medicine showed medicated anxious fliers - who reported they felt fine on the flight - had higher heart and breathing rates than unmedicated anxious fliers on the same flight who were in a state of panic!

This hyperarousal when flying with medication causes traumatizes the central nervous system. Each flight causes the central nervous system to become more sensitive to flying. Finally, medication no longer works and the person becomes unable to fly.

Stanford University School Of Medicine research on this is at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9299803

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz
Recent Conversations