We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone - Vodafone

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mobile phone - Vodafone

Hi,

I have a iphone contract with Vodafone, I have noticed Turkey is not included on their euro zone traveller package. Does anyone have any advice on best/cheapest ways to make calls/texts back to the uk please.

Thanks in advance

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

Either get a phone card and use a landline or download Skype and find a free wifi area.

Jak xx

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
294 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

Whatever you do dont use it! I had to due to the Halifax making a cock up with my credit card while I was out there. I had to call them then Santander & both calls came to nearly £60! Luckily the Halifax is reimbursing me.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
434 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

I went into my local Vodafone store on Friday, I am on contract , they advised me not to use my phone,as so expensive, but to buy a local SIM card and use that in phone!!! I will be taki g that advice, and using wifi to email from iPad.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

See the link below from the Marmaris forum. I think it's very useful.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298033-i793-k65…

Edited: 26 May 2013, 23:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

Another app is viber, I think it's brilliant to call or text (must have wifi though).

Always use this to talk/text family abroad and it doesn't cost a Penney. Always remember to turn roaming off on phone though.

Level Contributor
161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

Try what's app messenger, as long as you have wifi it's free to txt, send pics and FaceTime anyone else with the app, even abroad. Better still it's only 69p to download!! Happy days!

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

Vodaphone got it wrong! It's not just a case of buying a local SIM card - in Turkey you have to register the phone and pay a phone tax before you can do that; not worth it for a holiday.

Jak xx

Edited: 27 May 2013, 07:50
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

Great advice. Thank you all, much appreciated

9. Re: Mobile phone - Vodafone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 06:16