We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get a good tan without burning?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
how to get a good tan without burning?

What is the best way to get a good tan without burning your skin??

What tips could you give? I've heard to use high factors at the start and work your way down to the end of the holiday? drink plenty of water, and to apply sun lotion half an hour before leaving your hotel... any more tips!? x

Angmering, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

I always apply a tanning accelerator about 2 weeks before I go away, whilst I'm away and when I get back.

That helps me go a lot browner than I normally do, I dont burn and it also helps with heat rash (which I sometimes get).

ayrshire, scotland
Level Contributor
933 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

mm I don't tan well but I think taking your tim,e not trying to get one on first day, not sitting out for hours on end, they say moving around gives you a good even colour rather than sitting still, if you find out let me know

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

Halving a good scrub down at a Turkish Bath as early as possible in your holiday will give a deeper and longer lasting tan.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
390 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

my partner and i always use factor 50 all through our hols and never burn and get a great tan, how people use oil is beyond me????

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

I had a Turkish bath on my second day,always use factor 30 throughout my holiday and I have a lovely tan.

Going down to a lower factor will increase the chance of burning.I did this last year in Furteventura and regretted it.

The tan accelerators also help and Savers have a Piz Buin one which is only £4.99 and is applied as an after sun.

Angmering, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

I usually start on factor 30 and then drop down to 15 or 20 but everyone's different.

I also forgot to say about having a Turkish Bath and/or massage. I always try to get at least 2 or 3 massages whilst I'm away to keep my skin soft.....when I go to Olu I will defnitely be having a Turkish Bath on the first day!

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

Avoid sitting in the sun during the hottest part of the day ie around midday. Do your tanning in the morning and late afternoon. Use a high factor to start with and only go to a lower one if you have darker skin.

A Turkish bath won't get you a better tan but it will prepare your skin by getting rid if the dead layers.

Use after sun too to keep your skin moisturised.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

We were in Olu for ten days last year, we used sun factor 15 & then found the soap lady who was selling carrot soap...this was applied to damp skin half hour before sitting in the sun I don't know how it works but it did and we used it for the rest of our hols. Came home with a lovely tan. X

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

If you use a low factor which may give protection against the UVB rays,even if you dont burn it will damage the layers beneath the skin and doesnt protect against the UVA rays.

Most good protection have 5 stars on the back of the bottle.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to get a good tan without burning?

The only way to protect your skin against harmful sun rays is to use a high SPF sunblock. Every single day in the sun you face the same danger if you are insufficiently protected, so the idea that you can start with say a factor 30 and go down to a factor 10 is just the rationalisation of the illogical. Most people need at least a factor 30 for every day of a 2 week holiday, but as someone commented above different skin types have different needs. Nevertheless, skin cancer is caused by insufficient protection from the sun's rays and it is incumbent on every individual to protect themselves.

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz