We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stray Dogs

COVENTRY
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Stray Dogs

Hi there!

I am about to book a holiday to Olu Deniz but just needed some advice about the stray dogs. I am a HUGE dog lover and have two rescue dogs (one from Serbia) so I am a bit worried about what I might see! I went to Greece a couple of years ago and I could barley leave my hotel because of the skinny, sorry looking strays running in and out of the traffic. I have tried to do a bit of research and it looks as though there are stray dogs in Olu Deniz but they seem relatively happy and just go about their own business - am I right??? If so, I can cope as I know I can't change the world and have to accept that there are stray dogs in other countries. I just don't want a re-run of Greece. Can anyone help please? Thanks, Isobel :)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stray Dogs

Not a big problem - there are a couple of very active animal charities in the area which helps the situation.

Maybe avoid Calis - street dogs appear to be more of a problem there.

ayrshire, scotland
Level Contributor
934 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stray Dogs

any dogs we,ve met are always well fed and well behaved, im sure they are owned and just left to wander. ive not seen a mistreated dogs there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stray Dogs

Hi Isobel S

All the dogs I've seen in Oludeniz have been well fed and looked quite healthy. As well as very well behaved ;)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stray Dogs

The Animal Aid Organisation was founded in 2008 and is based in Calis and very active there in taking in street dogs and cats and neutering them and returning them to the streets. We now see very few street dogs or cats in Calis Beach the numbers have dropped dramatically, thanks to Animal Aid, which is run by local ex pats, who, of course live in the Calis area, as it's open all year around as it's not a purpose built holiday resort like Oludeniz . Animal Aid run lots of all the year around Charity events in Calis to fund the organisation such as dances, party evenings, market stalls. They even have a Charity Shop in Fethiye. The dogs we do see in Calis are owned. Dogs that are owned have a tag in their ear and wear a collar. Neutered street animals have a big nick in their ears to show they have been neutered. This is the link to the Animal Aid Website. Who, I am sure travel out to Oludeniz from Calis to help out.. website http://animalaidinfethiye.wordpress.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stray Dogs

We were sat in Cloud 9 bar one day and a dog ran past with the BIGGEST fish you have ever seen its in mouth, everyone was in stitches and taking pictures of it..

I have never seen a stray dog that look malnourished in my years of going.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stray Dogs

You will spot a good few street dogs - but you will be pleasantly surprised by how healthy they look.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,784 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stray Dogs

If I come back as a Dog- it's Oludeniz for me!

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
912 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stray Dogs

I am a HUGE animal lover and there is much animal abuse in the world, as we know, however, in OD during the summer months the tourists and restaurants feed the dogs and cats and in the winter months the local animal charities such as animal aid and animal antics ovacik and surrounding areas (FB) instigate a winter feeding programme, there is much abuse but the tourists are really not aware of it unless they follow the aforementioned pages, as I do. What really gets to me is when the hotels/restaurants/retailers take a puppy in time for the tourist season and then dump it at the end of the season and then the local ex pats take control and sort it!! God bless them. Those dogs on the front are so adorable and affectionate. I have 2 dogs, we are the 3rd family for our first one, UK based, our second is a Cyprus rescue, as much as I wanted to adopt from Turkey, it did take 5 months and £1,000 to get one over to the UK, however, I don't think it can cost as much right now, but if you do fall in love with one, contact the aforementioned rescues ;) I'm going to the Animal Aid Shelter in Uzumlu in May to see their work for myself :) :)

runcorn
Level Contributor
263 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stray Dogs

Hi Isobel, have a look at my photos of the dogs on the beach you will see how happy they look :)

sussex
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stray Dogs

Hi, We were there last summer. And did,nt see any.

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz