We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish lira

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Turkish lira

Is the Turkish lira rate likely to go up or down?! It is at 3.5 now but June July last year was 2.7/8.

Is it worth getting my lira in now or waiting till I'm in turkey?

Don't want to miss the good rates but at the same time I don't want to exchange hundreds and then get to the resort in June and the rate be better there...

Thanks

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
17,137 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish lira

Think if anyone knew the answer to that question, we could all make a killing on the markets. The short answer is... No one knows. We took a chance last month and got 2.81. it has now gone down, it may go up again. However, at 2.50 it's still a bargain on last Summer's rates.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,880 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish lira

FJ do you mean 3.5....!

Got some myself - but yes it's a gamble obviously.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish lira

I'd go for it. Since it's peak at 3.91 is dipped a bit due to an increase in interest rates.

You may be surprised but America is playing a part in the unstable currency. It's great for tourist but not for the Turks.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish lira

We are going in the middle of May and we have now changed three quarters of our spends into Lira as last year when we went in May we were only getting 2.5 , so by getting it now at 3.5 we got 350 Lira per £100, where as if only goes down to say 2.8 when we are over there we are still gaining 70 lira per £100 so we decided to take the risk, but like it has already been said its down to the individual to choose.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
17,137 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish lira

Sorry CF, Yes I did mean 3.50 and 3.81. I will write out 100 lines :0) Must get used to the exchange rate bien over 3.00 lIra...

Dalgety Bay, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish lira

It was 3.81 in January.Bad mistake that I never bought then.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish lira

Had a long chat with a banking expert today - and he had no idea what will happen either, but he is sure (as much as he can be) that it will remain stable until the forthcoming government elections are over.

But - always a but, he is still worried that the interest rate rise may not be all that was needed to control the exchange rate.

8. Re: Turkish lira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz