We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of queries!

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of queries!

So after 18 trips to Greece and her Islands, 2014 sees my first trip to Turkey! Just a couple of questions. Firstly, will I be well catered for as a vegetarian in the restaurants of Olu Deniz? Secondly, I've heard conflicting reports from friends who have visited Turkey about which currency to take. Some say Lira but others mention both Euros and Sterling being widely accepted which seems odd! Also, what's the mosquito situation in late July? Thanks in advance. Lisa

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of queries!

veggie food - you will be spoiled for choice.

money - Lira is the currency but GB£ is accepted at 99.9% of places in the resort.

Best bet is to take £20 per person, or so of lira over with you and change the remainder locally - you will soon find who is giving the best rate.

Mozzies - who knows, each year is diferent - at the moment there are more than normal for the time of year but what that means for a few months time is a guess.

Have fun.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 18:54
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
839 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of queries!

I always take sterling and change it there , you get a better rate than here, having said that the exchange rate is exceptionally high at the moment averaging around 3.6 to the pound at the moment and only getting 2.8 last season.

If not able to change money at the moment then take sterling to OD and change it in Ali's bag shop or with Joseph's restaurant they give good rates and no slippery hand moves.

Not sure what veggey meals are available but have seen them on all the menus.

They drive round spraying for the mosquitos at night but like all hot countries if they like you then chances are you will be scratching

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of queries!

As the exchange rate is so favourable at the moment it could well be worth changing some now. Over 3.5lira to the £. Last year only around 2.5!! Don't bother with Euro. If you have a few left from previous holidays it can be worth bringing them.

Food - you'll have loads of choice.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
13,873 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of queries!

My daughter is a veggie and always says she gets the best choice and the best meals in Turkey there are many, many veggie dishes.

I would advise a trip into Fethiye to eat at the most Traditional Turkish Restaurant which is always No.1 on T.A. and will give you some beautiful veggie meals, it's my daughter's favourite place to eat ever. Try the Mozaik Bahce. tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g298031-…

Edited: 19 March 2014, 19:55
silloth cumbria
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of queries!

You have picked the best area to visit being your first time to Turkey,we are seasoned travellers to both Greece and Turkey , this year we are going back to Agios Gordios in Corfu in July and what will be our 11th visit to either Olu Deniz or Hisaronu in Sept .Loads of good places to eat for all tastes and very well priced.My. advise would be always pay in Lira , either take Stirling and change in the resort or do what I do and monitor the rate and change on line at Travel fx best promise ,you have to pay up front minimum £500 but great rates.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of queries!

As the request was for Oludeniz, there are lots of veggie options in Oludeniz itself, fear ye not!

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of queries!

Hi There , I think you will love Oludeniz . I love the Greek Islands myself but never been back to the same place twice , but going to Olu in September our fourth time this year . Going to Kos in May first so getting the best of both this year :-) Take sterling with you and go and see Gladys in the bag shop near the top of the strip to get it exchanged . Always found I got a better rate than in the UK .

Can't answer your questions about veggie options , but I don't think you will have any problems there as others have already said. Have been once in late July and be prepared for it to be very hot , but we did not have to many issues with mossies and they love to eat my better half. Be on the safe side though and take all the usual precautions of repelants etc. I also think you will find the Turkish people very much like the Greek people.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple of queries!

Thanks for all your advice. Counting down the 100 days now!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
702 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple of queries!

You will love it. There are plenty of food choices out there.

I usually take about £15 worth of liras and the rest in pounds. I change the pounds there as and when needed.

--------------------------------------------------

My Turkey videos: www.youtube.com/playlist…

10. Re: Couple of queries!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz