We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficulty drowning

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Difficulty drowning

We are holidaying at the Montana Pine resort above Olu Deniz in late May. Neither myself nor my partner can stay afloat in the sea beyond a couple of breaths - pathetic, I know! A friend tells me there is a kind of 'dead sea' somewhere around the area full of salt where you can float freely without danger of drowning - or even sinking - she can't remember where, can anyone help?!

Anne

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difficulty drowning

Olu Deniz means dead sea and to get to the salty part, turn right at the main beach and walk all the way along. You have to pay a small entrance fee as it's a national park. It's not as salty as the real dead sea but it is easy to float and if you stay near the beach it's not very deep.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difficulty drowning

Well the translation of "Olu Deniz" is Dead Sea - so must be what in English is called the Blue Lagoon! Water there certainly is really calm - but you might be better off learning to swim - at least a bit, then you can help your body stay afloat!

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difficulty drowning

Yes, I know, but we can't swim well, and that's not going to improve a lot before May, so just thought it would be fun if we could perhaps float a bit without the usual embarrassment! Is that possible, or will we drown anyway?

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difficulty drowning

You won't drown if you take care not to go out of your depth. Take an inflatable like a big rubber ring.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difficulty drowning

Thanks, thought it was too good to be true, but will give it a try - miss so much not being able to swim well

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difficulty drowning

The med is saltier than the seas around the UK so therefore more bouyant - but that does not stop any danger of drowning - just helps you to learn to swim easier.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difficulty drowning

Thank you for your advice - looking forward to our holiday even if we can't stay afloat for long!!

Anne

oxford
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difficulty drowning

The national park beach is disappointing, I would go to Billys beach on the lagoon it's sandy a nice bar and more important for you fairly shallow. Get the hotel reception to call for the free transport, billys also do an excellent BBQ night. Cheers.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difficulty drowning

thanks for the advice, will try

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Difficulty drowning

I think your friend must be thinking of the Dead Sea in Israel, it is really salty and you can just float in it, but in the Blue Lagoon and any other places you can hire or buy flotation devices called noodles which are long spongy things, I always use one in the Lagoon or on a boat trip as not the World's best swimmer x

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz