We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will i like olu deniz and do i have to haggle

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
996 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
will i like olu deniz and do i have to haggle

looking to try a new destination and always fancied turkey, but hubby needs convincing.

I have friends that say olu deniz is a lovely place to visit.

we like a good choice of restaurants, then bars with entertainment, but also like a quiet night sometimes.

are there fixed price shops or do you have to haggle for everything(my hubby hates this after a holiday to Tunisia)

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will i like olu deniz and do i have to haggle

Hi I was like your husband a few year ago and wouldnt entertain the idea of a holiday Turkey. I then decided to give it a try after being fed up of Spain ect about 7 year ago and we now holiday in Turkey at least once a year. We have been to the Bodrum area, Antalya region, Izmir and Dalaman area. Last year we visited Ovacik which is near Olu Deniz for the first time and Loved it and we are returning for 2 weeks on May 19th. The area is very picturesque and you can have a lively or quiet holiday. Yes you haggle but its not done in an aggressive way and there is no hassle from the shop owners now as there was years ago. The Turkish Government put a ban on it and you can complain to the police if you get hassled.

Turkey is also cheaper than other holiday destinations and the exchange rate is very good at the minute.

I would recommend you give it a try and I bet you will love the place.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,629 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will i like olu deniz and do i have to haggle

Hi,

Oludeniz itself is now almost all fixed prices, as an example it may say 3 for £10 or 7 pairs of socks for £10

So it's all pretty simple, you can always try and get an extra pair of socks in with the deal etc but in the main it's a fixed price. The nearby markets tend to be more of a haggle but again there re lots of fixed prices. Expect a bit of hassle in the markets though - that goes with the territory!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will i like olu deniz and do i have to haggle

Hi,

We tried Tunisia a couple of years ago. The level of hassle we experienced there is just one of many reasons we will never return to Tunisia.

So, last year on the advice of friends and the very helpful people on these forums, we decided to try Turkey for the first time and went to Olu Deniz.

A very refreshing change indeed (nothing like Tunisia). We loved it and are returning to the area this year which I think says it all.

There was no hassle/pressure in the shops at all. They were all very friendly and helpful. The prices to start were very reasonable. If you offered to buy a couple of things they woould be willing to do something on the price.

We didn't visit any of the markets so can't comment but heard many people say that the best prices to be had were in the shops in Hisaronu during the day anyway.

Re bars restaurants, you're sorted!

Enjoy your hols!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will i like olu deniz and do i have to haggle

We have also been to Tunisia and the haggling/pressure there is nothing like buying items in Turkey.

Turkish haggling is totally different and can be fun, but not compulsory, just pay the price you are asked if you are happy with it and don't want to haggle.

Also haggling is not restricted to foreign countries, it goes on in the U.K. all the time. I bought an electrical item yesterday and got £15.00 off the price and free delivery just by asking.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will i like olu deniz and do i have to haggle

Agree with the above 2 Tunisia is yuk. The pestering is annoying.

It is very slight in OD and a totally different place.

Dave sums it up well.

6. Re: will i like olu deniz and do i have to haggle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:16