We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saklikent trips.

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Saklikent trips.

Can anyone suggest the best tour operator to go with for this trip as we are wanting to visit there while we are in Olu.

crawley
Level Contributor
547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saklikent trips.

Get the Dolmus to Fethiye and get off at the mosque which is last stop. From the mosque get another dolmus to Saklikent.

Far cheaper this way and you have all the time you want. I've done it this way and highly recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,046 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saklikent trips.

If you do want a coach trip, they take you first to Tlos then to Yaka Park for lunch and the Saklikent. We did this the first time and enjoyed the day. Try Guided Tours in Oludeniz. Tara with help you.

Mentioned in this post
Tlos
Tlos
639 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saklikent trips.

Do not go on this trip if there there was bad weather - rain - in the forecast. Just a few days ago there was very sudden heavy rain with enormous flash floods in the gorge which resulted in so very sadly 2 casualties and a few more injured. It sounded like it was all so unexpected, that the gorge was not evacuated in time.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saklikent trips.

It was still closed yesterday

manchester uk
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saklikent trips.

There is a thread running in the hisaronu forum about jeep safari accidents which visits the gorge and after being in July I would be hesitant about visiting again for the above reasons

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
865 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saklikent trips.

Do you have a good reason to visit? I went over 10 years ago and thought it was terrible. The one and only trip I ever booked with Bloody Gorgeous!! But to be fair he had nothing to do with the depth of the water and the fact no one mentions don't take children. we didn't, but ended up looking after those who did. Apart from sun glasses, shoes, cameras and phones being lost that day, it was a hairy experience. I would say firms should send their employees there as the only thing its good for is Team Building, as you have to look out for each other the whole time.

oxford
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saklikent trips.

We went last year with Guide Tours , Mehmet was our guide he was excellent and we had a brilliant day. You don't have to do any thing that you don't want to. We were 62 at the time, September, yes the water was very cold but we didn't have to wade through it, but it was a great experience. No one was pressured into anything and all had a good time, enjoy.

Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saklikent trips.

Nelly17, the only reason for visiting is that I have read about the place and seen numerous pictures, it looks fascinating and an interesting place.

I have heard that you do not have to do all of the gorge tour and that you visit Tlos and Yaka Park, Guide Tours have been mentioned as a good operator, any idea of likely cost?

Mentioned in this post
Tlos
Tlos
639 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saklikent trips.

Ruggerbugger just booked this trip online with Tiny Akropol for £14 per person.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
103 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saklikent trips.

Having recently visited my advice if wanting to visit the gorge is to view from the platform after entering the national park for which there is a 5 lira entrance fee.

On entering you walk along a raised gangway from which you can see most of the gorge but if you wish to enter the gorge itself this is where consideration for your safety has to be taken and consideration of your and other party members limitations and those around you.

To enter the gorge you have to scramble down approximately 20-30 feet of large boulders/ rocks, some which are wet and very slippery coupled with being on a steep gradiant.

On reaching the bottom you then have to cross the river which is approximately 3 feet deep and 30-40 feet wide and as would be expected very cold but has an extremely strong current/flow and the river bed is made up of a mixture of pebbles and bolders and is quite loose underfoot, thus making crossing fairly hazadous which after crossing and walking into the gorge you then have to make the return journey.

At this time of year the gorge is busy with tourists etc of all ages and abilities espically at the choke points such as scrambling down the rocks to the rivers edge and the actual crossing is very busy and though you may consider yourself to be able and competant as the old adegage goes you are only as safe as the least competant around you and if they go down so will you.

I am not saying the flow if you fall is going to drag you down river but you will struggle to get back to your feet but the damge this could cause when falling on rocks etc and likewise with the scrable down to the river

Clearly its a free world and given the facts which the tour operators in resort are going to brush over its a choice for the individual but it is not something i would do again in hindsight