We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Stafford, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Hi to the very helpful forum!

Quick question about currency, its confusing.

What shall I take, visting Olu in October...

Ive seen people mention taking Lira, Euros, sterling, or taking cash out when there.

I like to be organised and get myself sorted before I go on holiday taking the money I need.. will it really be much difference if I just take Lira and my bank card with me?

We'll be going out for meals (staying b and b), drinks, maybe a trip, and not into shopping/markets.

Have been quoted for transfer and accom. in Euros.

cheers!

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Exchange rate in resort is currently around 3.50, so it depends what rate you can get at home, and how much you are comfortable losing out on? Do the maths.

Having said that, it is advisable to take a little - say £50 worth - of TL to tide you over the first few hours in resort for tips etc.

DO NOT take Euros.

Depending on your bank charges, you can certainly use you bank cards in resort. Make sure that your bank knows that you are overseas and withdraw Sterling at the ATM's and change in resort.

Ensure that any Sterling you take with you are clean, unmarked English notes.

Stafford, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Thank you for the info.

Id got it wrong, for the transfer I'd been quoted £80 or equivalent, and to pay driver, so I'll take that in new notes like you say..

But for the accom was quoted Euros, but will most likely pay that with Credit card. Oh dear is that another can of worms.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

I would email your accommodation (assuming that you have booked direct with the hotel?), tell them that you would prefer to pay in GBP and ask for a revised quote in GBP.

Also, ask if they will offer a discount for payment in cash - lots of them do.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Jetsetcat you may have seen people mention Lira, Euros etc, but you should have also seen almost identical replies like that of Andrew T! Look at the responses. In case you missed them.....basically take about £50 in Lira and take Sterling to change up or withdraw Sterling/Lira by debit/credit card. Check out Moneysavingexpert.com or similar sites for best advice.

ARGYLL
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

can you still cash travellers cheques in resort

Dalgety Bay, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

Yes Ali at bag shop only needs passport first time so easier than carrying it about every time.

7. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz
Recent Conversations