We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

New York
14 posts
Save Topic
Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

Hi, just came back from the beautiful Buenos Aires and I feel the obligation to share with you all the wonderful experience Argentina was. I am completly in love with Buenos Aires and Portenios! Wow ! I rented an apartment in recoleta, through BA4U apartments, the guys were terrific and the apartment perfect!

While there I contacted 2 Portenios fun & tour, (www.2portenios.com) there was a brochure at the apartment, to hire a night tour to be introduced for the very first time to the gay night life in BA. It was one of the best tour I have ever had. this guys, Gustavo & Mariano, very professionals brought me to different gay bars and clubs, with the best performances and cutest guys!

Advise, take a nap before going out, everything happens too late in BA!! we finished the night tour around 6:30 am having breakfast at one of those traditional BA confiterias on Santa Fe Ave.

My last Sunday, 2 portenios, invited me for a sailing day through the Rio de La Plata. It was a also another memorable experience, seeing the city from the river, visiting the Tigre Islands and meeting people from other countries. Thank guys for such wonderful time.

I am already planning my next trip to BA and also a tour I couldnt join this time but for sure on my next trip, the gaucho gay party!

Cultural life and shopping!! a lot, of course. 20 very well "squeezed" days. Folk2

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

I am straight but what did you find shopping??? I love to shop. 6:30 am....I will be taking long naps. Glad you had a good time...sounds like BA is for everyone which is very nice.

New York
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

You don´t have to miss the leather stores, my personal tour guide took me to the leather´s factory outlet. Unbelievable!! less than half the price than regular stores downtown! shoes, belts, bags, jackets, suitcases, wallets. Excellent quality and design. I do not have the address or the area exactly, I just remember it was not more than 10 minutes from the Soho by taxi.

Alto Palermo Mall, one of the biggest in town, very good stuff, well known brands and reasonable prices.

Palermo soho on the weekends has a fair at the cortazar square, a lot to see, nice stuff and very cheap.

New York
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

BA is a very friendly city. I know for sure it is the only one city in Latin america where same se.x civil union is legalized. I mention this just to point how freindly portenios are. ;-)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

1) FYI the people who reside in Buenos Ares are called: Porteños, not Portenios -- albeit Gustavo and Mariano might call themselves "portenios".

2) If you are referring to to Murillo area of Buenos Aires, it is NOT cheaper in my experience-- but, the selection may or may not be better depending upon the item you're looking to buy. It is convenient because all of the leather stores are grouped together -- but, it's not any cheaper than the little shops along Calle Florida and the sidestreets of the microcenter. Palermo Soho/Viejo have much better items from a style standpoint.

3) Alto Palermo is a nice mall and the prices ARE great on many items due to the dollar/peso exchange. It's very easy to get to : Subte stop Bulnes on the D Line puts you right at the Mall. It's at the corner of Coronel Diaz and Santa Fe. Pay a visit to Yenny books and records on the top floor (owned by the same people that own Ateneo).

Be sure to let us all know about the "Gaucho Gay Party". However, if it involves spurs and lassos, you might have to find another board to tell the story on due to the rabid TA censors.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

I thought Portenio meant gay....boy I have a lot to learn. I would like to shop with you Folk2....I am glad to hear that cheap also means good quality. We have shopped in China and cheap and bad quality go together. What would a nice quality leather jacket cost in BA compared to one say in New York??

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

New York is cheaper if you know where to shop -- In BsA you're looking at $300 - $400 US for a lambskin jacket (or more for very high end) -- cow leather can be had on sale for $50 to $100 US for a jacket -- but, $150 - 175 US is a middle price.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

KG: I would suggest getting the Time Out guide BOOK (not magazine) for Buenos Aires and reading it -- there's a lot of very useful information there that will make you more familiar with Buenos Aires and its culture.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

Please, notice that currently there are some problems with the fair at Cortázar Square. That little square is being refurbished by the city government. Artisans are camping there as a way to demonstrate they don't want to be moved somewhere else. I don't think the fair is taking place at the present time.

New York
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

Ok, sorry I didn't mention what a portenio means! it is how the inhabitants of BA are called. Living by the port.

I couldn't find the Ñ on my keypad thats why I wrote portenios before since NI sound is similar.

With the peso devaluated Argentina is very cheap and accessible to buy quality products, in this case clothes and shoes, with the highest standars and good design. The same products here in NY are double/triple or even higher the price, depending on the location of the store and brand. The price I paid for a cow leather jacket is $180 usd. The same jacket in downtown BA stores asked me $450 usd. Is it a deal or not? may be those stores can be compared to NY prices. They are in the middle of the touristic area.

Other nice shopping area is Santa Fe Ave. Myriard of stores both sides of the street, many of them also in the malls and soho, very recommendable if you don't mind walking a lot through the crowd and noisy colectivos (buses).

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buenos Aires Gay tours with 2 Portenios

to make a ñ press: ALT and hold it down then press 1 6 4 on the NUMERIC KEYPAD THAT IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE of your keyboard (it will not work with the number keys at the top).

I think most everyone on the board knows the term Porteño (and Porteña too).

Carry on with the spurs.