We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Dress in BA

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
9 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
How to Dress in BA

Just back from BA and I was so misled as to how to dress. Here's the rundown, men:

If you're under 40, you'll blend in wearing skinny jeans, yoga pants or fitted sweats and athletic shoes. The "hipster" look is popular, with flannel shirts and Chelsea boots. For casual evenings and most restaurants, a polo shirt and jeans that aren't trashed are fine. Basically, Portenos dress like Americans. Also, unless you're shopping for a locally made designer leather jacket, there's nothing to buy in BA. It's all the same stuff you'll find here in the U.S., but it's more expensive.

I was a little surprised to see so many women in BA wearing yoga pants with really ugly 4" black platform sandals and awful t-shirts with English slogans.

10 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Dress in BA

I was a bit perplexed by the platform sandals as well - until it rained one day and the drains couldn't handle the deluge so big puddles were everywhere. There was me slipping around in my flats - and all the women with platform sandals with their dry feet well above the puddles. Probably not the reason they are worn - but they all had one over me that day.

Los angeles
Level Contributor
215 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Dress in BA

Oh please. If you go to a nice restaurant people will be more dressed up compared to the states. Also depends on the neighborhood. I certainly did no see a lot of yoga pants when I was there last spring. Shoes and especially purses are things to buy. Much more stylish than in the US but about the same price range. I also take it that you did not go to any of the fairs like the Sunday San Temo fair. I am bringing extra bubble wrap next time.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Dress in BA

welcome,

im an older male so you can get an idea on what i think about it. but i dress for comfort and less bulk in my carryon.

as you should know that fashon will change yearly and i notice that on my trips. whats hot or not now in the USA may not be reflected outside of the USA.

good luck next time.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Dress in BA

"Platform " soles on shoes / sandals is a style, not a form of shoe to avoid getting your feet wet ..

If you are planning on walking every day all over the city, wear flat or nearly flat shoes that are already broken in and comfortable. There are cracked sidewalks and areas where a platform shoe could end up getting you a broken ankle.

Avoid wearing things that are too tight and clothing with holes in it. Portenos are polite but will laugh at you anyway . :)

Dress the way you would if you were going to any large city in Europe ... you can't really go wrong if you dress well ... and no one is going to think you are Argentine so be nicely and comfortably dressed.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Dress in BA

Just back from BA and I was so misled as to how to dress.

This confused me.

I've been to BA twice. I dress how I normally dress. Regardless of what everyone else is wearing.

Roxbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Dress in BA

Dress is CASUAL! The platform shoes are worn to make up for lack of height! Wear comfy shoes, you'll be pounding the uneven and disrepaired sidewalks strewn with dog waste. They do not clean up after their dogs.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Dress in BA

Yes the dog thing can be annoying but like Paris and other places where this happens, you just become used to watching where you step ... If you made a list of Good and Bad and put down every thing that bothered you or thrilled you in BA on your visit of a week or two .. You might find that dog poo and other small issues don't really make a difference in all the positives there are on that list .. NYC isn't spotless either as well as a lot of US cities .. sometimes you have to live like the "natives" and watch where you walk .. knowing there might be a little bomb lying there on the sidewalk waiting to spoil your shoes. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Dress in BA

I have lived in BA for many years and have been visiting since 1976 If you think dog poo and broken sidewalks are bad now, you should have seen what it was like a couple of decades ago. However, though it has improved it is still an annoyance and a valid observation. Pointing this out will help other visitors choose the kind of shoes they will wear for touring/walking the city streets.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Dress in BA

It was bad when we moved to BA but did improve and we had a large dog ... I made sure to bring my little bags to clean up after him .. but this happens in NY and elsewhere too .. Paris used to be horrible as far as dogs leaving little bombs on the sidewalk. You can't blame the dogs ... it is the moron on the other end of the leash :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to Dress in BA

It has improved, but dog poop and broken sidewalks are more prevalent in Bs As than in any other major capital city I've ever experienced - and that is quite a few. NY doesn't have nearly the problem Bs As has in this regard or regarding broken sidewalks. Absolutely no comparison.

Reply to: How to Dress in BA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted