We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve help

7 posts
New Years Eve help

Hello!

I've been reading up that NYE is not a largely elaborate celebration in BA but I will happen to be there during that night and I am trying to decide between some things I've been reading about. The crazy thing is, there is really limited info online!

We are likely staying in Palermo and although I have read about some clubs to go to - they don't get going really till 1am and since it's just the 2 of us and we're 30 it may not be the best scene. A pub crawl where we could meet some people and enjoy the night would potentially be ok if there was something that we could trust will actually be well planned. Or a rooftop party or something busy and active with an outdoor element where we can enjoy some drinks...

Are there any 'street festivals' or anything of that sort where we could buy drinks? Or is it just down by the water and Palermo park where I suppose we would need to bring our own wine?

Anyways, any help appreciated !!

Thanks in advance

-Peter from Toronto

12 replies to this topic
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,457 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: New Years Eve help

One of the big factors in New Years in Buenos Aires is that it is Summer time. Everyone who can, leaves town, like most big cities .. they go to the beaches, the mountains, family .. All the years we lived in BA .. New Years was mostly silent and empty streets and the next day total silence, hardly any cars and people .. of course, living there, it was a treat but as a visitor, you will have to make your own celebration. While doing your research, find places that will be open and make reservations if you need to .. Walk ... see the city ... stop and rest in the fabulous parks .. enjoy the fact that you have the city to yourselves to wander and look at and photograph ..

Have fun and Feliz año nuevo ~

7 posts
2. Re: New Years Eve help

Thanks Scarlett!

Yes, I think this is what we will end up doing is booking a restaurant, and maybe getting some wine/champagne and heading to Palermo Park (which I read online some locals do?) and watching it there or heading down to the water...

I was wondering if you (or anyone else) knew any suggestion of where in the palermo park(s) would be the best place to post up? In your opinion, do you think it be scattered with just a few people or do you think it will be really busy there? Is it OK to drink alcohol in the open? Is safety an issue?

Thanks again!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
562 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: New Years Eve help

There's some places where you can have a new year's eve dinner but it won't be cheap. For example the Sheraton Hotel Buenos Aires offers a New Year's Eve dinner every year. And the same thing happens with some of the most well known hotels of the city. But we're talking about between USD 100 and 150 for each person.

I don't know the budget you're managing but unless it's absolutely necessary, you should maybe consider going to a bar in Palermo after midnight. A lot of them open their doors around that time.

Edited: 23 November 2017, 03:04
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
562 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: New Years Eve help

A great place to find a spot to celebrate the new year is Plaza Serrano. It's packed with bars and restaurants. I'm sure a lot of them will be open after midnight. It's a great place to hang out.

Plaza Serrano Palermo

https://goo.gl/maps/qEaFMuitnLJ2

Edited: 23 November 2017, 03:09
7 posts
5. Re: New Years Eve help

Thanks Gustavo! What are your thoughts for going to the park to watch the fireworks? Ive read online locals go, but I would hate to plan for that only to find an empty park and feely unsafe or something..

Then to Plaza Serrano afterwards to see if we can celebrate with anyone who is open...

Thoughts?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,457 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: New Years Eve help

Sorry, but we never went into the parks late at night .. we lived about a block and a half from the parks/museums Hard Rock Cafe .. but on the holiday nights, we stayed in. .. most of our neighbors were gone for the holidays to Uruguay :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,457 posts
119 reviews
7. Re: New Years Eve help

Remember, where you are staying and how you will get to and from your place of partying can be an issue. You might find it close to impossible to find a taxi that night.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
562 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: New Years Eve help

To be honest I've never went to a park to see the fireworks. I celebrate with family every year and never needed to go out there for that night. But I did go to Plaza Serrano several times (just not in new year's eve) and while it's not exactly a park it's right in the heart of Palermo Soho. And as such, close to almost every trendy bar and/or restaurant of the area. If you're hotel is nearby, your best shot of finding a place to spend the night a have a few drinks is there.

If I can help with anything else, let me know.

Edited: 23 November 2017, 03:31
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
562 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: New Years Eve help

Scarlet is absolutely right. Consider where you're staying first and foremost. The only way of transport you'll find on new year's eve, will be your feet. Be mindful of that.

7 posts
10. Re: New Years Eve help

Thank you Gustavo and Scarlett!

Reply to: New Years Eve help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted