We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires restaurant experience

Turlock, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Buenos Aires restaurant experience

I need to have a Buenos Aires steak house experience that I will always keep in my memories. Do you know which steakhouse I should try? Is there a Buenos Aires buffet restaurant? Is there an unique Buenos Aires restaurant?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,456 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Buenos Aires restaurant experience

www.saltshaker.net/

get to this website and start reading and making lists. There are buffets in hotels but I have no buffet experience in BA.

I think you might find that pretty much everything in Buenos Aires is unique :)

Don't get your hopes up over the steak experience though, I don't eat meat but I have read/heard that it is not always up to the American idea of juicy tender meat.

Go to Palermo Soho and have brunch on a Sunday .. Have a good Italian meal at one of the many Italian restaurants .. Go out on Puerto Madero and have a meal, or even just drinks and enjoy the view ..

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Buenos Aires restaurant experience

Buffet. Gourmet Porteno and nearby La Bisteca are both great all you can eat buffets in an excellent Puerto Madero location.

Steak. I am very much a beef eater. Here’s my take.

More and more steak in BA tastes a lot like steak anywhere else....the pampas grass fed beef for which Argentina gained world renown is going the way of the Buggy whip factory as ranchers convert pastures to soy bean fields and send their cattle off to feed lots to fatten them up. A good traditional Argentine steak can still be found, but it is a bit harder than it once was.

In the downtown area, try the informal el Establo (Paraguay and San Martin) or the much more upscale Cabana las Lilas in Puerto Madero.

In Recoleta, the upscale El Mirasol de la Recova is an excellent choice.

In Palermo, Don Julio’s has long been a favorite although several recent reviews suggest it might have gone downhill a bit since becoming famous.

Scarlett is right that some people are disappointed in a traditional grass fed steak. It does tend to be chewier but in my opinion more flavorful than a typical steak from feed lot beef found in most US restaurants. Also, Argentinos prefer their steak on the well done side. Order a steak at least one notch less well don e than you normally would for a juicer steak. If you normally go for being cocida/ well done....order apunto or medium...if you like rare ask for very rare, jugosa, jugusa.

Virtually all steak houses offer some great appetizers as well....a round of baked or grilled provolone cheese (proveleta), empanadas or Chorizo sausage . As a side, most styles of potatoes are great, or for a more distinctive experience try purée de calabaZa ( mashed pumpkin squash) Quite good.

Desserts are not a strength of most steak houses in Argentina. Flan, a crepe with dulce de leche are usually on the menu...or just skip dessert and go for an ice cream later. Argentinos know how to make some fantastic ice cream.

A local Malbec wine is always a good choice to go with your steak.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,456 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: Buenos Aires restaurant experience

I might not eat steak but I can agree with the Dr on the Malbec and Ice Cream/Helado :)

Also ... be aware that dinner time is very late compared to the US ..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
202 posts
4. Re: Buenos Aires restaurant experience

If staying in the Recoleta/Barrio Norte/Palermo neighborhoods I would second Dr D's advice . In particular, el Mirasol de la Recova is excellent. A little more refined than the others and therefor more distinctive.

If, however, you find yourself in the San Fernando neighborhood, a new place called Bestia is a true winner. Aging steaks are on display in coolers on the restaurant floor.

Reply to: Buenos Aires restaurant experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted