We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helpful Tips from BA trip

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Helpful Tips from BA trip

My wife and I just came back from BA this morning after 8 days there. I will put down my personal observations and some helpful hints -- at least to me. Overall had a great time with great food and great people mixed in with great shows. Some of these tips may be redundant as I am just going off the top of my head.

1. When you arrive after going through customs there is a money exchange right there at the baggage claims for your luggage -- walk past this one -- when you walk out of the authorized areas there will be a money exchange there (where everyone stands to check in their luggage) -- you will get a good rate there and safe as well.

2. After changing your money there is a taxi service IN the airport before you walk out the doors. Just go there and the rates are published right there -- dont leave the airport yourself just get a taxi there -- safe and effective -- we had to wait about 20 minutes but worth it -- 60 pesos should be the charge if your hotel is centrally located; FYI the person that takes you to the taxi will be waiting for a tip

3. We stayed at the Esplendor de BA --located at San Martin and Florida -- cant say enough nice things about the hotel -- we payed roughly 1700 us dollars for 9 nights -- the rooms were modern in appearance, had a balcony overlooking the street -- this price was for a suite that included a free breakfast buffet -- the Galleria PAcifica mall is right next to the hotel -- way overpriced but has a food court that you can go in and have soom really good food. Only negative is that the streets are always loud and could affect your sleep -- but i guess you can use ear plugs

4. Make sure that when you go to BA there is no holidays -- The stores were closed on Monday for Malvinas Day (like an independence day) and then lots of shops were going to be closed forr Good friday and also saturday -- with many shops closed thu-sunday. Just be aware

5. We used tangol.com for many of our trips; really helpful and replied through emails beforehand in a timely manner. Booked a city tour, El Querandi tango show, Tigre day trip, Colonia day trip, and Boca Jr soccer game with them. Total cost was aroung 500 us dollars

6. The highlight of the trip was the soccer game. It was an unbelievable experience that lets you absorb the portenos passion for soccer. I am not that much of a soccer fan but I had goose bumps just being there. Go with a guide for safety and transfers to and from hotel. Just leaving the game is crazy enough. You will see fans chanting song after song and then you will see the opposition fans doing the same. People will climb the stands and the gate just to get a better view. Also try the hamburgers and hotdogs at the stadium -- my wife said that they were unbelievable - im veggie shes not -- for 2 people the cost was 140 us dollars

7. We went to El Querandi tango show -- not worth the money and food lackluster -- decent show overall but not worth the price. As a result we went to the Senor tango show ....AMAZING The food was great, the service impeccable and the show was a Vegas sort. Absolutely loved it -- 80 us dollars per person --go to their website and make a reservation --their price inludes pick up and dropp off at your hotel -- do this because not such a good location -- FYI anytime you do a tour or take in a show, there will be people taking a video of you or a picture of you to sell it back to you -- usually the pictures are 10 us dollars and the dvd 30 us dollars -- just be aware

8. Went to colonia, urugauy on the fast ferry. Great day trip Leave the hustle and bustle of BA -- slowed down life -- take the fast ferry b/c you can get there in 1 hour -- great little town and really neat shops -- hassle going through immigration to get there and come back but worth it -- dont worry about changing money there -- they take us dollars and argentinian pesos.

9. We did the Tigre day trip -- ok but if you dont have time i would skip this -- neat to ride the train but really nothing fantastic -- got on a boat and rode on it for 45 minutes and came back -- nothing totally impresssive

10. We went to San Telmo Fair on Saturday -- lots of antiques and such -- if you dont like antiques then i woudnt recommend going -- i know that there is other stuff like performers but you can get that on Florida street -- to me it was a waste of time but if you like antiques then this is heaven

11. My wife and I arent into eating at established upscale restaraunts. We mostly ate at restaraunts that looked nice enough and saw their menu and went in -- We ate at alot of restaurants that were little restauraunts on the street that had pizza pasta and beef __best food you can get -- also at indian food at mumbai really good food

i will post some more suggestions later -- i think this is getting too long

as the portenos say ciao ciao besito besito

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

Great report !!! Thanks for sharing.

2. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2007, 17:38
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

Just adding... Porteños say at the end of a meeting: ¡¡ Suerte !! (luck) of course plus... besitos, besitos :-)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,824 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

indiancowboy,

Thank you for taking the time to post!

ciao ciao ! :O)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,824 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

Valija... "besitos" = little kisses? :O)

I like that!! but is it too familiar to use with everyone? or just when with friends or signing a letter?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

Let say you will not kiss to your page boy at the very first day... but when you´ll leave Buenos Aires ... maybe yes!!! :-)

You´ll be infected with this "kiss everyone" behavior we have here around...

"Besitos... besitos" I mean one kiss in both cheek

By the way: Ciao, Ciao is Italian and you use when you meet someone.

Chau is Spanish for Bye

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,824 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

Thank you Valija! You saved me from several faux pas lol.

We will not ( hopefully) be leaving, we are moving to Buenos Aires..and I will soon be known as that crazy lady from the US that goes around kissing everyone lol

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

Kissing here is very popular, even among male friends (we're talking straight male friends, BTW lol). The kiss is in the cheek, of course, and is usually followed by a kiss-sound.

Hugs are also very popular here. People will kiss you and hug you for apparently no reason when you first meet them, but if you look it the right way, you'll find the reason: we are more friendly than many of other societies in this world!

IMHO, I don't think kissing in both cheeks is as popular as in Spain is.

With the "hola", you may hear another salutations as "como estás", "qué tal", "cómo andás" or, among young people, "qué onda", "qué hacés" (all of them meaning "how are you?"). These are obviously informal salutations.

"Chau" is when leaving a place, means "bye". Ciao is italian, as someone already said, and it means "hello".

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
443 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

Cowboy -

How did you arrange your trip to the soccer game?

pa
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Helpful Tips from BA trip

Thank you so much for all of your info.

Were going to B/A in August, and then to Corrientes, for a few days and then to the Falls for 3 days.

The info on the money exchange was a great tip.

I hear the shopping IN B/A is the best. And so if the beef,which will make my husband happy.

I was already looking on line for a nice tango / dinner to go to. Again Thank you for the tip on that as well.

After hearing all that you guys did, I cant wait to go.