We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

I may go into the import/export business. I will bring Maple Syrup, cottage cheese and peanut butter to Buenos Aires to satisfy the tastes of the expat community.....and bring empanadas, quilmes and alfajores back to the States.

IWhen I am here in the States I miss bife de chorizo, vacio, and puree to calabaza and empanadas. I miss chinchulines too but not so much...

Ip.s. never eat cottage cheese but after reading the stories of ex pats pining away for a even a bite or two of it, I bought a pint and ate it with pineapple. Not bad, but I would gladly trade my entire pint for a bite or two of chorizo sausage.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

There's a yahoo group called BANewcomers in which some high percentage of the posts are from ex-pats trying to find one type of food or another that they miss. Reading the posts, I thought some people were going to commit hari-kari over their inability to find cottage cheese.

Quilmes is available in Washington, DC. So are some brands of alfahores, although not Havanna (far as I know, and as of two years ago). Perhaps you should leave Texas, Dr Dawggy.

Emapandas, however, are another matter. As my wife never tires of pointing out, you cannot even freeze the empanada dough in order to take it to the US (assuming it would survive the flight) -- it just never tastes the same once frozen. And, I never found acceptable empandas around Washington, DC, not even at the Argentinean cafe in the Maryland suburbs, where the owners and every employee in the kitchen were (again, as of two years ago) from Buenos Aires and they even imported ovens from Argentina. Maybe its something in the air in BA (and the rest of Argentina, where the empanadas are also excellent (although different in every province).

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

I would love to leave Texas and move to Buenos Aires. Trouble is, my wife does not want to live in Argentina. Torn between the two loves of my life...Buenos Aires and my wife.....So far the wife has won out....

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

I can live without peanut butter and maple syrup, but sign me up for cottage cheese when you come down next!!

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

Emapandas? (My previous post.) We REALLY miss avrooster's spelling corrections! "Empanadas."

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
497 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

Cottage cheese, definitely!

As noted in another thread, maple syrup can be bought at Jumbo these days. Peanut butter, while it's the classic thread starter here, has been pretty solidly available in all the major supermarkets for the last year or two. Jumbo carries Skippy, I think, Coto as well, Disco carries Planters, you can get Jif in the markets in Chinatown.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

Dr_dawggy, add english magazines to your import list. North American magazines cost 40-50 pesos. It would be nice to get them at a more reasonable price.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,848 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

Dan, thank you !!

I was just about to sign on for the peanut butter when I saw your post.

Funny, it might be more of a case of just knowing I can´t have it that makes me crave it..but I am going to Jumbo today! lol.

Good idea dr dawggy..I will donate some chorizos to you when you visit next :)

We can go to our favorite place in Palermo Viejo, where my husband and I discovered Pollo chorizo..in addition to all the regular meat dishes.

Add Rembrandt toothpaste to the list, and Snappy Tom y Mary mix lol...

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

There are a handful of Argentine bakeries and grocercy stores in the USA that sell a lot of authentic Argentine products. In Queens, New York there is the Buenos Aires Bakery on Roosevelt Avenue. Sells frozen empanada dough for baking and frying. They sell sandwiches de miga, pastries (filled with dulce de leche), yerba mate and much more. Miami is loaded with shops like this as well and I have found them in Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Takes a little looking. Good chorizo is still a challenge. I hear there is an Argenine butcher outside of Boston but I haven't made the trip yet.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,848 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

I am sad to report that they do not sell peanut butter at Jumbo. I made do with a jar of Nutella but the search goes on..

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Of Maple Syrup, Cottage Cheese & Peanut Butter

I remeber buying "masa para empanadas" ("la salteñita"!! such a surprise) in New Jersey around Bergenline Ave.

As well "Quilmes" , dulce de leche And I baked "Maicenitas" for my melancholics friends beacuse there is "maicena" there too.

* Maicenita is "the granny" of the moderm alfajor.