We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Question about ATMs

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Quick Question about ATMs

Are there many HSBC ATM's in BA?

I have looked at the HSBC site for BA and see quite a few banks, but they don't say if they have any ATMs?

I am staying at the Clardige Hotel at Tucuman 535, and wonder if they are any HSBC ATMs' anywhere near there.

Dave

Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
137 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
6 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Full Day Tour at a Farm in San...
62 reviews
from US$170.00*
Small-Group City Tour of Buenos Aires
203 reviews
from US$35.00*
buenos aires
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Question about ATMs

All the HSBC branches that I know have an ATM machine. No worries, you can also use most other banks ATMs at no extra cost.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Question about ATMs

Yes, as Mark mentioned, most HSBC branches have ATM machines in them. I realize you probably want to use one as maybe you bank with HSBC and your bank doesn't charge you if you use an HSBC ATM. They have a good presence in the city and many ATM's.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Question about ATMs

There are many HSBC banks around the city and most of them have an ATM. I found that I was limited to withdrawing 300 pesos per day at HSBC ATMs.

Have a safe trip

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Question about ATMs

No problem at all with ATM machines here of course they're not so massive like in America where you have them even into small shops.

Claridge Hotel is in a great location.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick Question about ATMs

You will find that the withdrawal limits are pre-determined by your home bank typically. Some cards I have I can withdraw over 3,000 pesos at one time (u$s 1,000) as that is my withdrawal limit with some of my banks in the USA. Some only 500 pesos per day even though my spending withdrawal is $500.

You will find that most ATM banks are set now for the peso exchange rate but I've found some of my banks still think I'm trying to withdraw u$s dollars instead of pesos and only let me withdraw 500 pesos at a time.

Most ATM machines here don't charge anything to withdraw anything which is nice unlike Rio which charges up to u$s 3 to withdraw for EACH withdrawal. Check with your home bank to see if they charge

A good tip is to call the bank before you leave home and ask them for a special exemption so they don't charge you an ATM fee when traveling outside the USA. I've done this with ALL of my USA banks and none of them charge me ANY ATM fees when I withdraw outside of the USA. So, i'm only charged if the ATM machine in the city where I'm withdrawing it from charges me.

I've found many banks will waive the fees if you ask nicely (or threaten to take your business elsewhere..ha, ha).

Good luck.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick Question about ATMs

Thank you for all your input, and advice.

I have phoned my bank, and they know I'm travelling so my card shouldn't get cut off, and leave me stranded in BA, if only :)

Nice to hear that the Clardige is in a good position. Only a week and a half to go now.

Dave

7. Re: Quick Question about ATMs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 23:18