We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of BA, including private tour of BA

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Review of BA, including private tour of BA

An English person in Buenos Aires.

After seeing the sights in Rio, and then Iguazu, I caught the 13:00hr flight from the Argentinean side of Iguazu to Buenos Aires which got me into BA at 14:50. I then went to one of the taxi cab kiosks in the airport and got a taxi to my hotel, the Claridge. I remember the taxi being very cheap, and I took my first glimpses of BA, wow the roads seem to be very wide. To my left through the mist I could just make out the river plate.

On arrival at the hotel I checked in, from the outside the Claridge looks very impressive, and the inside seemed to be as well, very oldie worldie. To get up to my room via the lift, I had to put my door card into the lift to let me go anywhere. The room I was given was next to the lift shaft, but over the next three nights I hardly heard any noises form the lift.

I unpacked my bag, phoned up Eternautas who were giving me my tour of BA tomorrow to check that they were still ok, and went exploring. My hotel was very central, in fact within 30 seconds walk I was in the main Florida shopping street, and the first person I came across was a street busker singing an Elvis Presley song in English, and there I was over the other side of the world, feeling like I’m at home. I then walked down to the Plaza de Mayo via a few side streets as I did a part of the one of the walks in the Lonely Planet guide and saw the Casa Rosada and the main Plaza. The winter had obviously taken its toll on the plants and grass as they were a bit threadbare. As it was getting dark, I then walked back to the hotel, for a quick drink in the bar, and a rest. I asked the people on reception for a nice Parillia for the evening, and they directed me to one just off San Martin square called Parrilla Al Carbon. Wow what an experience that was, I sat down and glanced over to a couple sitting very close to me, and the bloke had a massive great big plate with the biggest ever t-bone steak on it, and nothing else. Half an hour later he was still chomping through it.. and I joked with him whether he was going to have a pudding as well. I asked for a bit of loin beef, and a salad, and I was amazed at the size of the beef that I got… it was huge!!!!! The Malbec red wine went very nicely with the beef, and I headed back to the hotel. Whilst walking through Florida on the way back, there were a couple prostitutes working along the main street, who when they saw a foreigner, they headed straight for you, and handed you their card. A quick no was enough to get rid of them.

The next morning I took it easy and went for a stroll in the morning up Florida towards San Martin, the shops are much classier up that end, and I stopped for a sandwich and a drink in one of the coffee shops up there. Walking back down Florida to the hotel, there were obviously the owners of the shops or helpers outside the front door trying to get people into their shops. Whilst it was annoying at first, you soon learn to just ignore them. Or a gentle no always helps.

At midday I started my Images of BA tour with Eternautas, which was conducted by a young girl who had lived in BA all her life. She spoke very good English, and we were chauffeured around by a driver. This meant that we were able to leave what ever we wanted to in the car, go for a walk and get back into the car again.

We first went to the Plaza de Mayo where I had been yesterday, but the main square took on a whole new meaning when I learnt what was around the main square, and why this square is so important to BA. We then took in all the districts of BA during our tour including San Telmo, and La Boca, where we went past the football ground. We also stopped in perhaps the most touristy area in La Boca (Caminito) for a walk around the local shops/cafes, and waterfront, but we also went around the old cobbled areas and very run down areas of La Boca, which held more fascination for me. We then went onto see Puerto Madero, reminds me of London’s new docklands area, Avendia 9 de Julio and the Obelisk, then onto Palermo and finally to the Cementerio de la Recoleta, which of course is the famous cemetery. Although the cemetery is perhaps the major attraction of going to BA, and the mausoleums were totally different to anything I’d ever seen, it wasn’t really for me. Yes of course I saw Eva Perons mausoleum. I certainly thought the tour, was well worth the money, and it gave me a great view of the many districts in BA. The guide dropped me off at the bottom of the park near Plaza San Martin so that I could go and see the Falklands/Malvinas memorial. I was amazed at the amount of Argentineans who were killed in the war, what a waste of life. The memorial was guarded by two soldiers in uniform. Then I walked up to the Obelisk, and for a walk across Avendia 9 de Julio. I stopped in at an Italian for a meal and a drink before returning to the hotel for a well earned rest.

The next morning I decided to go to Colonia in Uruguay. I asked at reception what time the boats went, they phoned up the Buquebus place, and told me the times, and then told me how to find the Buquebus place. It was a 15 walk from the hotel, but I couldn’t find the place very easily.. I later found out that a big lorry had been parked in front of the sign to the Buquebus entrance. Anyway I went inside and bought a return ticket leaving at 14:00 hrs and coming back at 20:00hrs. Don’t forget you need to be at the ferry an hour before you travel, and don’t forget your passport, even when you are buying your tickets. It does take a little while to fill out all the forms that you need to fill out to go from Argentina to Uruguay, so leave some extra time. The ferries leave BA at the following times or did when I was here in Aug 2007 08:30, 09:00,11:15, 14:00, 18:15, 19:30 and 23:59, and they leave Colonia at 04:30, 09:15, 10:30, 16:00, 17:30, 18:45, 20:00

There is a very nice café in the Buquebus entrance, it puts the British cafes/bus station/motor service stations to shame. The trip to Colonia took an hour each way, with the sea being very calm. The town is a short 10-15 minute walk from the Buquebus set-down place. Now I didn’t get any Uruguayan money out before going there, and to be honest there was no need to, as you can pay for everything via Argentinean pesos. On my walk around Colonia I did find an HSBC atm in the old part of the town, so I did get some Uruguayan money out. The old town is nice and relaxing to walk around, and on the day that I went (a weekday) there weren’t too many people around. I went up to the top of the lighthouse and looked out on the view across the River Plate and the town of Colonia. I also stopped at the quayside at the bottom of the town for something to eat and a drink. By this time the light was fading so I walked back up the ferry, getting there about 40 minutes before it was due to sail. On the way back I had a first class seat upstairs, which included a bottle of water and a sandwich with waitress service. It was a shame that you couldn’t see out as it was dark.

I walked back from the ferry port to the hotel, dropped off my camera, and then went for a late night walk around Florida and up and around the Obelisk. There were numerous shops still open, and I felt very safe walking around. I stopped in a bar for a drink and then went back to my hotel.

The next morning I caught a taxi outside the hotel at ¼ 12 to go to the local airport for my 13:00 flight to Rio. The hotel reception said that I didn’t need to be at the airport until 45 mins before departure. I got through customs at 12:40 and the plane left at 13:00hrs. Looking back I would of left the hotel earlier as you couldn’t choose your seat on the plane.

Anyway looking back on my trip to BA, I enjoyed it, seeing all the different sights, especially the large laned avenue, taking in a Parillia and that massive amount of food. I felt safe walking around BA, everyone seemed friendly enough.

Although BA doesn't have the wow factor that Rio has, it does have its own character and charm and a very Europeam feel to the city.

Dave

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of BA, including private tour of BA

Well done Dave. Thanks for sharing.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of BA, including private tour of BA

Thanks for the report, Dave! The posted ferry times will come in useful for our trip to Uruguay from BA in November. My boyfriend will be in heaven eating all of those huge steaks!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review of BA, including private tour of BA

Thanks for taking the time to report. Glad you enjoyed your trip. You have provided some excellent tips.

I just want to comment on your statement

"Although BA doesn't have the wow factor that Rio has, it does have its own character and charm and a very Europeam feel to the city."

having been to Rio several times, I can understand. The views in Rio are breathtaking - SugarLoaf, Corcovado, the beaches the ocean. One is immediately wowed.

However the charm of Bs As is more subtle. To me its more about having time to discovery it leisurely at your own pace. Its not always about the things you read about in the Guidebooks. Its more about the things you just come upon and a certain ambiance and a way of life. And to get into that, you really need more than a couple of days. Alot can be about sitting leisurely in a cafe and reading your newspaper or aimlessly wandering............

There are many people who Bs As "grabs" and captivates and enchants and makes them want to keep coming back. While others don't find it anything special. As J.M. Serrat said "contra gustos no hay disputas"

raquel

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review of BA, including private tour of BA

Thanks for posting, I am glad you enjoyed your stay here.

I agree with raquel, Buenos Aires charmed us right away and we had to come back..we are happy every day that we made that decision.

Now we have to go see Rio :O)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review of BA, including private tour of BA

Rachel I agree with your comments, BA does have its own charm, and I only saw a very small part of BA. There are lots of areas to explore, and lots of things to see and do.

Just one more thing to mention, when you go across to Colonia, there is a tourist information place as you get about 100 metres from the boat. You can get a local map of Colonia in there, and the people will tell you how to get to the main part of the town. They speak very good english. I would head straight for this little office as soon as you get off the boat, before everyone else does, and there will be a queue with everyone asking teh same question.

My return ticket cost me 128 pesos (21 english pounds) which included a premier ticket for the return trip.

Dave

6. Re: Review of BA, including private tour of BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 14:22