We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices since 2005 guidebook

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Prices since 2005 guidebook

We are using the latest available Moon Handbook (Avalon) for Buenos Aires published in 2005.

The restaurant prices seem very reasonable.

How much higher than listed then can we expect them to be in December 2007?

Thank you for your response.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

I haven't seen the prices in Moon, but I would expect them to be around 20% higher now.

The hotel prices have gone up substantially for high end hotels. The restaurants have gone up but are still reasonable by international standards considering the quality.

buenos aires
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

only 20%??...I would say more...let me give you some examples:

PRICES IN 2005

Taxi: $ 1,12

Remis (from Ezeiza to Obelisco): $ 40

coffee in Recoleta: $ 2 - $ 3,50

Puerto Madero (lunch) from $ 10 - $ 15

Palermo Viejo (lunch) from $ 15 - $ 30

PRICES IN 2007

Taxi: $ 3,10

Remis from Ezeiza to Obelisco $ 75

coffee in Recoleta $ 4- $ 6

Zona Puerto Madero (lunch) from $ 20 - $ 30

Palermo Viejo (lunch) from $ 25 - $ 35

Do the maths...prices have doubled!!! do not trust any guidebooks, they are all outdated.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

I would double the prices. Still a bargain by US standards and the exchange rate but prices has skyrocketed. They are getting so high I think they may kill the golden goose. Pretty soon Argentina will no longer be a budget destination and will compete with the rest of the world on its drawing power alone and not the low cost. The rub is the flight to argentina is very long and the cost of airfare has gone out of site. I was quoted 1,600 RT direct from New York in the off season (August). A year ago that flight could be booked for around $800. Long flights and high costs do not make for a flood of tourists.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

Marulandia:

Is that Argentinian pesos or US dollars you are quoting?

Thank you.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

She is quoting prices in pesos...

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

Maulandia,

You are correct. I don't know what I was thinking of. It's got to be 20 to 25% increase per year since 2005. I know that the Herald and the Wall Street Journal have made comment of the increases.

One problem for the country is that many of the services(electricity,water,etc)are being controlled by the government and do not reflect current actual prices. It will be interesting to see if they lift the limits and people have to pay the acutal price for the electricity.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

Many restaurants have doubled or nearly doubled their prices since early 2005, especially in trendy parts of Palermo and parts of Recoleta. If the guidebook is copyrighted 2005, the prices have to be either from early 2005 or even late 2004 --such is the lag time in publishing.

buenos aires
Level Contributor
461 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

Comparative prices for tourists have hardly risen at all when you take into account the exchange rate against euros, pounds and probably Canadian dollars. Our US dollar owners suffer from being more or less tied to the peso at around 3.15 pesos to a US dollar and inflation of say average 15% per year has taken its toll. So except for the US, a 35 peso restaurant meal in 2005 is the same as a 50 pesos meal today.

9. Re: Prices since 2005 guidebook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 04:18