We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in San Telmo

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay in San Telmo

Anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay in San Telmo? We had hoped to stay at Cocker House, contacted them several months ago and was told to wait 6 months prior to when we needed a reservation. I waited and contacted them today which is over 7 months out, and they're all booked. They recommended Posada de la Luna which gets a mix bag of reviews on TA. Any first hand comments on Posada de la luna or other sugtgestions? We've been to BA b4 and this time want to start our trip in San Telmo and will be staying in Palmero Soho at the end. Thanks

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

Go to page 3 of this forum and read what others have said about the 1890 B&B and Hotel Gurda. In the past, I have also read favorable comments about Hotel Mansion Dandi Royal in the San Telmo area.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

Thanks for your response. I need a little help as I dont know where I can find "page 3?" I have looked on the TA hotel reviews for these hotels. is hter some place else I need to look?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k1844…

:)

I have no first hand comments but this is the discussion mentioned..

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

Thank you! Not sure how I missed that thread when I did a search on San Telmo B&Bs.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

I find it surprising that so many people worry about the safety of San Telmo, yet don't say anything in that regard about the 1890, which is in Constitución, not San Telmo. If you're going to stay in Constitución, the B&B is in a good area, but I would not choose to stay on that side of the 9 de Julio.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

We stayed at La Cayetana which is a wonderful retreat from the activity - some say that it is in the San Telmo district and others state that it is in Monserrat It is right around the corner from the wholesale stores featuring fabulous world recognized fashions (Dior, Cacheral etc) as well as local designers....but be careful at all times for your personal effects. Saw two purse snatchings, and one resident at the hotel had gypsies pour sticky gunk on his shoulders twice in one day and while the woman cleaned this chaps shoulders, her accomplice actually retrieved his credit card OUT of his wallet and returned his wallet. This happens alot in San Telmo - we were warned as well as pepper spray in the face. But the hotel that we stayed in was fabulous!! a wonderful little boutique hotel with all the amenities....great staff and wonderful charm. Can't say enough about the property and its generous staff. Very modern and affordable...

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

Your hotel was in Monserrat. And this does not happen a lot in San Telmo. I spent 4 months there and did not see or hear of a single incident. I have several friends who have lived there for many years and can't remember any incidents. I'm not saying that crime doesn't happen--of course, it happens everywhere. But this food scam is definitely not typical of San Telmo.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

Mustard or some liquid squirted on a person then while being cleaned off, is a scam that happens anywhere...even in Europe..it is not unique to San Telmo.

While doing our furniture shopping, we were in San Telmo almost every day, this past year..shopping, browsing, eating, meeting friends for lunch..people live there, children go to school there..it is a charming old neighborhood .

If , as a tourist, you want to be closer to particular sights etc..San Telmo might not be for you, but it is pretty much as safe as the rest of the more spoken off barrios.

What you should consider and investigate would be.. Is the B&B you are interested in, licensed and safe.

These days people are calling a room for rent in a house, a B&B, so do lots of homework and remember, if the price is amazingly low and affordable, it might not be good.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

Thanks all -- I shall continue digging. Having been to BA before, our thinking was that it would be fun to explore San Telmo for a couple days this trip.

Where would I find information about licensing? As I understand it from reading this forum, the Cocker House is not licensed, but the owners have disagreed about their need to be licensed?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay in San Telmo

dl, if you put the question or B&B San Telmo into the search box at the top of the page, you can bring up all the previous conversations on this.

Poster marulandia has a ton of great information on the licensing of B&Bs...good luck!