We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local expert, please

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
636 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Local expert, please

I am not getting any responses to my question about EZE

Last year there were reported "near misses" due to the lack of radar. Is that still a problem? Has it been repaired? What is the situation at this point--and if not fixed when will it be?

Thank you

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local expert, please

I'm not a local expert, but I was just in BsAs and asked a colleague there about this. He said that he knew nothing about it and flies out of EZE monthly. There are hundreds of flights in and out of EZE daily, so if this were truly a problem, I think there would be more chatter about it.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local expert, please

Sorry, not a local nor an expert but there was an article just yesterday about an upcoming 400 million (USD) renovation/addition to the airport, so I would think if they're going to pay for that, the radar would've been fixed by now.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local expert, please

During 2007 the main radar system at EZE was hit by lighting. The airport switched to it's secondary system at that time.

As far as I know the primary system at EZE is operating and all airlines are operating at normal lovels. There were some delays at the end of April due to the smoke which was quite thick around the city.

During 2007, the Argentine Airpilots Association complained about the radar system being down and having to use the secondary system, but that was viewed as somewhat political which is not unusual in Argentina.

All international carriers are using the airport and I haven't seen any complaints from them in the papers.

You can do a search on the archives of the Buenos Aires Herald for more news on this subject.

No Worries!!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local expert, please

I don't know how many "near-misses" there might actually have been and how much of this was just talk .

Those flights come and go daily, I have not heard anything about any problems since the smoke stopped all flights but that is long gone now.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
636 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local expert, please

Thank you all for your information. On a Goggle search I found many references to use of a "secondary radar system". Pilots that have flown into the area have called it "an accident waiting to happen"--and the current (2007) system would be a disaster in bad weather. I am finding no updates.

Any more information would be helpful.

Thank you.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local expert, please

I have not heard any new information but I cannot imagine that a busy, modern international airport would still be operating on a back up system after this long a time.

you might try www.flyertalk.com for an update since most of us here have been unable to provide a definitive answer...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local expert, please

A "near miss" isn't a problem, that's a good thing. It's the "hits" that you don't want. So far there haven't been any.

Don't worry about the radar, if it wasn't safe there wouldn't be hundreds and hundreds of jumbo jets in and out of there every day.

Personally, I'm more worried about the taxi ride home than the flight.

Switzerland/USA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local expert, please

Last time I whent there there was no problem with my landing. But now I am reading this and I am scared about my flight from Frankfurt to EZE tomorrow!!

I will keep you posted, should there be no response in a few days....expect the worse :-)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
694 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local expert, please

OMG, if we don't hear from you in a couple days it means the worse case scenrio has happened. That would be horrible. It would mean you don't have internet on your holiday. oh, your flight will arrive just fine. Your bags are another story, haha, they'll probably end up in hong kong.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local expert, please

LOL Kevin !

Pilots from airlines from all around the world have to fly into EZE.

They can refuse to fly in if they think it is too dangerous.. the airlines can refuse to come into EZE if they think it is too dangerous.

I really don't think it is too dangerous..

Now this is an airport to worry about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_z5HtME9n8