We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Mobile Phone in Argentina( Buenos Aires & Salta area)

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Using Mobile Phone in Argentina( Buenos Aires & Salta area)

Hi,

I'll be coming to Argentina from Australia for about 3 weeks, and would like to know if it's pretty easy to buy a pre-paid argentinian sim card for my mobile phone to make calls while I'm there. Is there a specific carrier anyone would recommend?

Thanks

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Mobile Phone in Argentina( Buenos Aires & Salta area)

If your mobile is UNLOCKED and a tri or quad band phone then you can purchase an inexpensive SIM card(10 pesos).I use Movistar for my mobile. There are Movistar offices all around the city and in the shopping malls. The large Movistar office is downtown on Corrientes 665. They will check your phone for compatibility,if you like before purchasing the card. The recharge cards can be purchased at most kiosks and are readily available.

They are running specials all the time on the recharge cards. For example; you pay 20 pesos then get 40 pesos worth of time. Calls between Movistar customers are half price.

Be sure to bring your passport or a copy of it when purchasing the card.

I have had very good coverage all over Argentina.

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Mobile Phone in Argentina( Buenos Aires & Salta area)

Ricardo thank you for the info. Do they speak English at the office you mentioned? I dont speak Spanish. Will I have problems there?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Mobile Phone in Argentina( Buenos Aires & Salta area)

You will probably encounter someone at any of the offices of Movistar(or the others Personal,Citi Movil) who will understand English. Just bring your phone in and show them the SIM card and they will understand that you want to purchase a new card.

Be sure to have them set up and test the phone to make sure that it is making phone calls with the new card. Also, set your card on English so that you can continue using your phone as you have in the past.

No Worries!!

4. Re: Using Mobile Phone in Argentina( Buenos Aires & Salta area)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 12:24