We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Wilsonville
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

My name is Richard Jabs, and I live in Wilsonville, Oregon. I am writing you as I would like to recommend the services of Marcelo Mansilla, a private tour guide I hired during my stay in Buenos Aires - Argentina, last May 08.

Buenos Aires is a very interesting, eclectic city, but at the same time really overwhelming- so many neighborhoods, sights and history. I highly recommend Marcelo‘s services: after discussing all the possible touring options and hearing his suggestions, he organized an entire itinerary according to what I was interested in doing including history, arquitecture, gastronomy, art and shopping.

Marcelo is a one in a million: he gave me the best tour I could imagine! His knowledge was quite extensive and I learned much about Argentina from a local perspective and not just some generic tour.

Marcelo Mansilla is a professional with an University degree on Tourism, extremely fluent in English, and can be contacted through his website, http://www.ciceroneba.com.ar , or by email, info@ciceroneba.com.ar

I definitely would recommend his services to anyone who is traveling to Buenos Aires and does not like big group tours, but would rather see the city through the eyes of a local.

Rich

Biking Buenos Aires
Bike Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Equipment Hire
Caballos A La Par
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Argentina Polo Day
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Lessons & Workshops, Private Tours, Sports Camps & Clinics, Day Trips
BuenosTours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours
Argentina
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Hello, Rich, thank you very much for your recommendations, could you possibly tell us something else about your stay... I do not think only Marcelo`s service was good, where did you stay??

Can you also recommned the place you stay, or ate?

What other places in Argentina did you visit???

Giena

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,228 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

This is the Cicerones website..

http://www.cicerones.org.ar/en/visitantes.htm

Wilsonville
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Hey everybody. I decided to rent an apartment in Recoleta, through Craigslist BA. It was a better deal than staying at a hotel.

However, very close to the apartment there was a boutique hotel that seemed really nice, called Art Hotel. Maybe a place to consider?

A couple of restaurants I would suggest in BA are:

- El Cuartito (great pizza)

- Cumana (regional food)

- Babieca

- Icecream at Volta (their branch in Santa Fe and Callao is the best!)

I confirm Marcelo's website is www.ciceroneba.com.ar / Do not get confused with "Cicerones de Buenos Aires", a totally different organization.

Hope the info helps!

Rich

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Hello, I have seen your post on 3 different travel forums recently - you are very happy with your tour guide I guess?

Did you write a trip report or have tips and info from your trip you can share?

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Being your First post it is very kind of you, Rich...

Marcelo Masilla must be happy for your comments.

But I feel most of the TA would prefer a trip report about the hotels you stayed, we are curious, you know.

By the way, in Oregon, visit Golden Valley Brewery, in McMinnville, and give Peter my regards.

Giena

Wilsonville
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't aware there was a brewery there amongst all the wineries there. I'll have to check it out on my next trip through to the beach. I take it you have been to the Mcmenamin breweries and historical sights they have transformed. That's one thing that I miss when I am in Argentina is access to good breweries, like in Portland. Bullers in Recoleta is OK, but pretty touristy- has a passable IPA. Surprisingly the other brewery, Antares, has an international award winning Barley Wine- which is a first for a latin american country. It is excellent- not to overpowering on the hops like some others I've had. Hit the happy hour- I think pints were $1 or something like that- dangerous-hahaha. That was a good tip from Marcelo too. I guess the wine makes up for the lack of beer places- can't have everything.

Rich

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,228 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Shastapk, you should look in on the Portland/Oregon forums too... I lived there before we moved to Buenos Aires..

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

There is a Marcelo Mansilla (41 years old)recently killed with his wife in Argentina. It was the breaking news some days ago and two missing kids (his son - 12- and daughter-8-) I expect it were not the same person...

Terrible crime... I am sorry whoever He were.

Giena

California
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Thank you for recommending Marcelo. I recently came back from Argentina and took a few tours with Marcelo. I was extremely pleased with his affable personality, seriousness, and command of English.

I understood the layout of the city by walking through different parts of the city over the course of a few days.

This was the first time I have used a private guide and it cannot compare with big touristy bus tours.

Buenos Aires could be overwhelming on your own.

Cary W The Sea Ranch Ca.

Falls Church, VA
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation: Private Tour Guide in Buenos Aires

Thanks for this. Did you do research into other guides as well? Mostly curious about what stood out about Marcelo and rough rates/pirces?