We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

I read on a website that there is the possibility that restaurants sometimes will add a 15-20% surcharge when paying with a credit card. Is this true? If so, before handing over our credit card, how do we inquire in Spanish?

Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
138 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
6 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Full Day Tour at a Farm in San...
64 reviews
from US$170.00*
Small-Group City Tour of Buenos Aires
214 reviews
from US$35.00*
Solothurn...
Level Contributor
585 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

Where did you read that? I knew of very few, small places, which would charge a 10% when paying with credit card, but I think a 15/20 % is just ridiculous.

You can ask "hay recargo si pago con tarjeta?" or "hay algun recargo por pago con tarjeta?".

In the cases there was a charge, they've always informed me BEFORE swipping the card (to give you the chance to pay cash if you want to avoid the charge). But it doesn't hurt to ask if you don't see it written on the menu.

BA
Level Contributor
709 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

as far as I know, near the crisis in 2001 there was a common practice of giving a discount of 10% if you paid in cash, not a surcharge if you paid with cc. (correct me if I am wrong as I did not live here at the time). That practice is not common now. A few months ago (during the Campo dispute) a restaurant I eat in regularly offered that discount, but I think it was a once off.

Under no circumstances accept a surcharge of any percentage without them telling you in advance. It would be illegal to charge you more than the listed price in menu.

Beware that not all restaurants accept credit cards though. Look for the tipical credit card signs (stickers) or ask before ordering.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,228 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

We never use credit cards in restaurants but we have still gotten discounts for using cash in some places... over a year ago it was our hotel that gave us a discount for cash.

Journeyer, which website was it ?

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

Here is the website where I saw this information -

http://www.ba-walking-tours.com/#PanelView

Click on the Menu on the left side of the screen

Choose Tips and Warnings

The statement is in the Credit Cards Section

Perhaps this section of their website needs to be updated?

Portland
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

Here's how it works. Many restaurants and boutiques will give you a 10-15% discount if you pay cash.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

In over 12 years of eating in BA restaurants, I have never encountered a surcharge for using a credit card. I disagree with the poster who said "many" restaurants give a discount for cash, but a few do, including one of the most popular, La Cabrera (unless they've quit giving the discount since May, when I was last there).

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,228 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

I am looking at the website and I do think some of the info is out of date... it sounds sort of like someone was here years ago and is telling you the way things are now - based on their long ago visit.

Advising people not to take a bus is silly, I think.

Telling about men here and their "machismo" ... sheesh!

I would not count on that website lol ... count on us .. :)

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

BA TripAdvisors! This is an example of how terrific this website is and how much of a difference TripAdvisors make for those of us planning our trips! Thanks for sharing current reality!

Solothurn...
Level Contributor
585 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

I've had a look at the website were you got the info, and it is just not correct. It happened to me a couple of times that when buying something someone told me there was a 10% charge when I presented my cc. As others have said, usually you will be offered a 10% DISCOUNT if paying cash to encourage you to pay cash, but I've never heard of a 15/20% charge anywhere.

I've found particularly useful all the "cheek kissing etiquette" in the greetings part, though ;-)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit card surcharge at restaurants?

no, I think this is incorrect.. I don't think it's so much...they do charge you a little more in some places when you pay with a credit card cause they have to pay more to the credit card company so some prefer to sell you in cash. But it's like 5% or 3% I'm not sure. Then, always ask if they take credit cards before, as there are some places that do not accept. And if you go to some shops, ask them the price in cash as it is sometimes cheaper if you pay them in cash they give you like a better price for the item. Like shoes, etc.