We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

It would be great to get your thoughts on our proposed itinerary for the last Sunday in November...

My wife, daughter and I would like to experience the San Telmo antique fair on Sunday AM. What time do things start? Is it an easy walk/taxi to the ferry terminal? Is there a hotel where we could check our bags while we're at the market (we'll have checked out of our place in Palermo)?

We're then planning to take the ferry to Colonia. I think that the 11:30 one will be too early. There is a fast ferry at 1800/arriving at 1900. We'll tour a little in Colonia, eat some dinner and stay the night. The next morning we'll tour, have lunch, and depart Colonia via bus.

We're meeting with a group near Atlantida (small town called Salinas) on Monday afternoon. It's about a 3 hour bus from Colonia to Montevideo.

I couldn't figure out the bus schedule on the ferry web site. Anyone know the schedule? Is it better to buy the bus with the ferry ride?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Mentioned in this post
San Telmo
San Telmo
11,983 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Palermo
Palermo
5,245 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

Any thoughts?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

yes : it's not really possible, imo, to truly experience the San Telmo street fair and be boarded on a boat at 111:30 am if: you wander all the adjacent artisan fairs, take some time to listen to the music, really get to enjoy it, and account for the fact that the Argentines are not an early morning crowd...

now.. having been at the fair while they were setting up (we were finishing our drinks from the night before) and wandering it before going back to the apartment to sleep -- it's not as.. hmm.. lively in the early morning... it seemed to start getting "good" around 10:30 or 11..... so it's all up to you.

If it were me: I'd take a ferry to Montevideo in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
San Telmo
San Telmo
11,983 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montevideo
Montevideo
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

Skip Colonia altogether?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

I think it's a matter of personal taste... you know you better than we do...

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

We usually go to San Telmo around noon on Sundays. We wander and have lunch ... it is really a good part of a day to do this..

If you take the ferry to Colonia, you can spend one night there, leave the next afternoon/evening and take the bus to Montevideo .. spend a night and then take the 3 hour ferry back to BA..

Or if time is too tight.. go to Colonia , stay the night, come back the next day.

My son did this, he got the bus tickets when he got to Colonia.. and the ferry tickets in BA ..

Mentioned in this post
San Telmo
San Telmo
11,983 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montevideo
Montevideo
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

Your plans make sense. You're supposed to be at the Buquebus terminal one hour before scheduled departure time. (They start boarding about 20 minutes before leaving.) You could take a taxi from Plaza Dorrego in San Telmo at 4:30 and be fine.

When you get to Colonia at 1900 you will have about 2 hours of daylight to tour, and then can eat around 9:30.

The Buquebus buses leave Colonia in sync with the arrival of the ferries, so you may not find one that leaves at the right time for you the next day. The place to look for better schedules is www.trescruces.com. This is the site for the main bus station in Montevideo, and has schedules going and coming form all over the country. You should be able to find a bus from Colonia, and then one to Salinas/Atlantida.

Atlantida and Salinas are very pretty, very peaceful. You'll enjoy that area.

Mentioned in this post
Buquebus
Buquebus
458 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Plaza Dorrego
Plaza Dorrego
553 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
San Telmo
San Telmo
11,983 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montevideo
Montevideo
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

Oops, sorry, it's www.trescruces.com.uy.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

Thanks so much!

We'll plan to:

- take the 1800 Ferry from BA to Colonia on Sunday evening

- stay in Colonia on Sunday night

- tour Colonia on Monday AM

- take the bus from Colonia to Atlantida on Monday after lunch

I couldn't find a bus from Colonia to Atlantida on www.trescruces.com.uy. I think the ferry company goes there (with a bus).

We're going on a fishing / nature tour led by a family based in Salinas (www.aqvaterra.com), so we'll be travelling up to Artigas, Bella Union, Salto, on the Rio Uruguay, and back to Salinas. We're also planning to see La Paloma.

I can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
La Paloma
La Paloma
Rocha Department, Uruguay
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

I bet you can't wait ! I hope you are able to give us a trip report complete with photos :)

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for a Sunday: San Telmo and Colonia

mtquinn, the way the bus schedules work is to and from Montevideo. In other words, you find a bus from Colonia to Montevideo on the web site. Then you find another bus from Montevideo to Atlantida. They definitely exist.

I just 5 days ago took the Buquebus ferry from BA to Colonia and then the Buquebus bus from Colonia to Punta del Este. That's the bus that would stop in Atlantida (ours didn't as there was no one for Atlantida). That bus might take longer than going through Montevideo, but I could be wrong. You will just have to compare the schedule with Buquebus to the schedule with the local companies.

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Buquebus
Buquebus
458 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay