We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

My husband and I are not crazy about being in crowded places, which markets can be. My husband will go to an outdoor market, and within 10 minutes he has had enough - he gets overwhelmed with large amounts of people! We were thinking of exploring the San Telmo market and then Puerto Madero on Sunday, but I'm wondering if it will be too many people. We will be in Recoleta on Saturday and plan to take in that outdoor market. There is plenty to see and do in Recoleta, so we can take in the market for as long as we want and then move on. We're not that interested in looking at antiques and stuff, but are there outdoor entertainers and music that would make the San Telmo market fun?

Or what do you think of Feria de Mataderos?

Thanks bunches!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

I totally understand and agree with not being crazy about crowded places :)

I think the best option is San Telmo.. this is a big barrio, the flea market is just a square in the neighborhood.. Defensa is a street that is full of people on weekends but as you go farther from Defensa, you will just be in another of BA's very charming and interesting neighborhoods.

The walk over to Puerto Madero is nice, crossing the water and wandering.. on the most crowded day, ( for us) .. Puerto Madero is never that crowded.. it is also huge.. you can walk for what seem like miles along the water..

The Feria de Mataderos was insanely crowded when we went with our son and because of that, we were all happy to leave earlier than planned.. it is a smaller area and so many people .. it is not just for tourists, locals love it too..

San Telmo has music, tango dancers etc.

The Feria has music and we saw Folklorico dancers.. we actually enjoyed watching the people who were spectators, dancing, more than the people on stage lol.

The Feria in Recoleta is set up along the sidewalks through the park, so it is set up nicely for being on the walk and looking/browsing and or walking off the walk into the grassy park area, sitting on benches or the grass and just people watching is also fun.

There are always musicians in Recoleta on weekends in the parks..

Hope I didn't just get you more confused lol

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

If I were you, I'd opt for San Telmo. We were in Mataderos last weekend. It wasn't overly crowded, but we were there early.

We had a guide from BsAs, and he wasn't particularly excited about that part of town.

San Isidro might be another possibility for you. It did not appear overly crowded on Sunday afternoon.

have a nice visit!

tptr

europe
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

hi everyone

Im now confused (again) (im a male)

Is the Feria de Mataderos only on a sunday like san telmo??

All the fun seems to be on a sunday, how can we as tourist be in all these places in 1 day lol.

So where is it for your only Sunday???????

1. san telmo

2.Feria de Mataderos

3. tigre

4. bed with hang over after the clubs on a saturday nite

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

Yes, the Mataderos is only on Sundays.

Depends on what you like, I enjoy San Telmo more ..

You can go to Tigre any day of the week.

Now the hang-over.. you can go to San Telmo and have some really strong black coffee and sit in the sun or shade and nurse the head for as long as you like.... or go to Las Canitas to Novocento and have a blistering hot Bloody Mary or two ... then go to San Telmo.

Any more questions? :O)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

For the Feria experience, I enjoyed the Feria de Mataderos the most. Plenty of booths with crafts and food and fun to wander around with the music, performances, and gaucho games. (I was sternly warned by the locals I went with to not wander too far from the fair, though.)

For actually buying souvenirs, it was a toss-up between Mataderos and Recoleta.

I didn't really enjoy the San Telmo fair that much. I felt the antiques were overpriced and it was crowded. But I enjoyed staying in San Telmo during the week very much.

If I had only one Sunday, I would go to either Mataderos and San Telmo, go to the Recoleta fair on Saturday, and skip Tigre.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
141 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

Hello! We just got back from BA last week. During our trip, we went to both the San Telmo antiques fair and the Feria de Mataderos. To be honest, both are EXTREMELY crowded, so prepare your husband for a bit of a freak out either way. To me, it would depend on what you like to shop for. If it is antiques, then by all means the San Telmo antiques fair. In addition to the booths on the square, most of the shops are also open and can prove to be a quiet, safe haven away from the push of the crowds. Radiating out from the square are also some "artistic" vendors, but for the most part I found the non-antique/vintage goods to be far inferior to what you find at the Recoleta fair or Mataderos. Mataderos has a lot of quality crafts at prices that we found cheaper than the Recoleta fair. The music and gaucho displays were wonderful. There were also quite a number of booths with cheese, breads, wines, dulce de leche, etc. I agree that you shouldn't wander too far away from the crowds at Mataderos (but doing so is OK in San Telmo), but I think all the hype that the area is very dangerous and "desperately poor" (a comment from my guide book) is a little overexaggerated. The area was definitely sketchier than, say, Recoleta, but it was still (frankly) less "scary" than the neighborhood I live in in Austin, TX. Have fun!

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

So many possibilities! Thank you so much for the descriptions and comments which make the areas come alive! And oh, can I get on the plane for BA today?

I think I'm not going to make a decision now. I'm going to cut & paste your comments into a word document that I prepare of possibilities that is like a menu of options. Since we will have a total of 5 days in BA and Sunday is our last day, we will have gone to the artisan fair at the Rural, the open market in Recoleta, and done some shopping around town. My hunch is that we will be shopped out. That being said, the highest priority/interest of ours in BA is listening to music. And since the San Telmo market does offer music, we may give it a try...and hope that we are not too overwhelmed by the crowds.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

Hope you have a great time -- I'm sure you will!

I went to the San Telmo fair last Sunday and found it pretty overwhelming. (Granted, I was nursing a pretty massive hangover from all my milonga exertions the night before, so that taxed my crowd tolerance.) This Sunday I think I might do the Feria de Mataderos based on what I've read here. Or possibly I will be too hung over from Saturday night's festivities and will just hang around Palermo...

9. Re: On a Sunday - San Telmo/Puerto Madero vs Feria de Mataderos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 05:28