We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

At the markets of Recoleta and San Telmo, is it customary to bargain or are prices as marked?

Thanks!

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

I did not bargain at the Recoleta feria as I was quite satisfied with the prices. However, I'm sure you could. I did bargain for an item in San Telmo......not a lot, but I paid what I thought it was worth. There seemed to be a lot of dickering going on. fwiw, I do not "bargain" just for the joy of it, but only if I feel something is overpriced. Everybody needs to make a living!

tptr

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

The only time we "bargained" with vendors was when we were purchasing multiples of the same item. I decided I would buy silver earrings for my girls at work (7 of them) so I asked and received a better price on earrings priced the same. Otherwise, no. The prices seemed totally fair at Feria de Mataderos, Recoleta y San Telmo. Tam bien Plaza Serrano.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

Tambien. Perdon. Typo.

buenos aires
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

No, is it not customary to bargain. However, you can do so if you are buying in bulk.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

marulandia!! Congratulations, BA Destination Expert !! Well deserved !!

Same answer here, I never bargain at the flea markets but at the Mercado de las Pulgas .. yes! They always start out with a high price and enjoy a good bargain session, even if you never really get it down to the price you want lol..

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

Congratulations Maurlandia!!!!

I just noticed this morning. I feel honored to have your expertise with us here on this forum.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

My experience was that bargaining is considered "mal-educada" and not done much at all in Argentina or in Uruguay. This was a new experience for me, as I'm used to Mexico where my gringo face triggers a triple in price so that it can be negotiated down to half of that or so.

I'm guessing it's about as common as it is in the US, where you can discuss it as part of buying something in bulk or as a combination, but it's nothing like the markets in most of Latina America or even the outdoor markets of Spain. On the plus side, the prices are fair, and don't change based on what the customer looks like!

Tac

buenos aires
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

Scarlett & Ricardo,

thank you for your kind words. I just hope to fulfill TA expectations...!

;) cheers & have a great weekend ahead!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

marulandia, no worries about fulfilling expectations!

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferias/markets - do you bargain?

More congratulations to Marulandia!

A friend of ours from the USA, against our advice, tried to bargain in a BA store where the owner made the jewelry that was for sale. The owner was clearly offended, but with incredible tact made clear the price was the price.

The same friend tried bargaining in Punta del Este, Uruguay, with similar (non)success.

Not in the culture.