We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
191 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

I know that there is a hydrofoil over to Montevideo, but are there any other easy/cheap/quick ways to hop to other countries in South America from BA?

Are there any discount airlines that may fly to other cities?

If I fly into BA from the US, is there another city it's worth flying out (back to the US) of that is relatively easy to get to from BA?

I hope I'm making sense. We've never been to South America and are trying to make the most of it. We are used to going to Europe where we fly into one city and out another and in the middle hop around to multiple cities/countries...

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

You kind of have to change the mindset when travelling in South America from the European travel one. The size of the continent makes it difficult to "hop" unless you have tons of money and tons of time. Why, read a little in the Argentina forum alone and you'll see that we can barely fit the sights we want to see in Argentina into one vacation.

Which leads us to the next point.... how about using BA as a base to see Argentina? :-) It is a fascinating city and can be your gateway to wonders not seen before.... wine country, majestic waterfalls that put Niagara to shame, glaciers, whales and penguins, colonial cities, mountains, lakes and so much more.

Sorry to sound like a travel ad, but I kind of love it. Good luck with your planning!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

JoyJoy is right. This blog will give you an idea of size and distances in Argentina:

http://www.saltshaker.net/argentina-geography

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
156 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

It depends how much time you have. There is more than enough to see and do in Buenos Aires and in Argentina, without going to another country. But what we are planning on our next trip is to stop in Rio for a few days on our way to BA, and then stay in BA for a month. We then fly directly back to Washington. We are, however, doing this with frequent flyer miles and decided to make the most of the trip, and the miles. But I agree. This is not like Europe. There is no need for the "if it is Tuesday, it is Belgium" way of traveling.

It is hard to explain, and some people never quite understand it, but Buenos Aires is someplace that gets a hold of you, and you have one of two choices.....to travel back again and again, or move there.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

Aside from the distances, airfares in Argentina are expensive... so using EZE as a base also has that drawback. The above mentiones FFlyer miles come in handy if you can book in advance and actually get awards... something that is not easy these days.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

Maybe a cruise could help you.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
191 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

Thanks everyone.. you all kind of confirmed what I was thinking.

:)

7. Re: Using BA as a "base" to see other countries in S. America?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 21:18