We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

This is our 2nd week in Argentina, our son is starting to look at us a little crosseyed particularly since his 21 yo sister left to visit friends in Brazil this am. Suggestions for places for dinner or other thoughts as to what we can all enjoy? Also, he leaves on 30th and we stay here until 1/1 Suggestions for where 2 middle aged, Californians (SF area) would be able to get into?

ciao

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

Hey, go to Palermo Soho for dinner and just wander the neighborhood.

Go to Hermanns on Santa Fe in Palermo by the Botanical Gardens, have dinner and walk that neighborhood.. stopping somewhere for dessert.

Do the same in Recoleta... Rodi Bar on Vicente Lopez and go a couple of doors down to the Pool Hall and play pool.

We did that when our son visited.. and when his friend visited him, we all did it :)

Look at the Biblioteca - the wacky looking library in Recoleta on Las Heras.. they have all sorts of free entertainment.. this is this months calendar..

www.bn.gov.ar/ACT_Programacion.aspx…

Go to Puerto Madero, wander around as it gets dark and watch the lights go on and how beautiful the city is from there, and have dinner at DF .. a fun Mexican place on the boardwalk, right on the water.. watch out for the margaritas!

Do you want something different to eat ?

Chinese? go to Chinatown or Recoleta to Shi Yuan on Tagle.

or Indian?

anything sound good yet? :)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

Go to La Paila in Palermo -- there's live folk music there and great food.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

Play pool on New Years Eve??? That's the best one, yet!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

Thanks for the feedback re the son. The mexican sounds good as we are getting tired of the parialla (dad does tri-tip better if you can believe it). Would recommend a few really great places and a few that were so so.

What about where for the mom and dad to go on New Years eve that will not be as expensive as a new VW? The male spousal unit is thinking about tango but not to dance (that would be a trip) but the mom is up for anything fun. We do fly back to SF on the 1st early evening. Any place the expats go?

Thanks for help in advance!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

X... I don't think we were talking about playing pool on New Years Eve..

ChaCha..

In Recoleta, on Tagle, off of Las Heras, is a Chinese restaurant called Shi Yuan.. very good. Last winter I got sick ( bad throat) and I lived on their soups! Just don't get the duck, it will suffer in comparison with US Peking Duck :)

I am so not into going out on New Years so I have no idea.. I don't even know what is open.. so many places close up tight over these holidays.

We aren't really a part of any ex-pat groups, but you can look at my favorite blog and see if there is anything there ..

http://www.batravelguide.com/

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

Thanks for all the tips. We normally spend NY eve/night with close friends at someones house cooking together but they are all in Oakland and we are here in BA plus it is our last night. Your recommendations will be put to good use. All of them! To San Telmo today.

If you think of anything else, let me know.

ciao

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

I've found out the trick, get them good and tired by visiting an estancia. We spent the day at Los Dos Hermanos and it was great! I haven't rode a horse in about 10 years so every part of my body hurts but it was a great day! Anna (one of the owners) and her staff were so friendly and helpful. They will arrange for your transporation if you don't stay there (I would, however, want to stay there if I could do it again) and the drive out of BA is beautiful.

We had a nice "windy" day so it was great but if this day had been last week when it was really hot I don't think I would be as positive but only because of the heat.

tomorrow night we are sending the boy wonder off back to LA (he has to work bartending in LA on the 31st) and we have been invited to spend the evening with the family with whom our daughter lived during here studies here. All is good!

thanks to you all for your input.

Charlie

8. Re: Looking for things to do at night with our son who is 25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 02:17