We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

Can anyone please provide some recommendations of great steak houses and Italian cuisine in BA?

We are hoping to avoid the overpriced tourist traps.

Coming from NY, we get plenty of great steak and italian food here, but we're hoping to sample some of the local flavor.

I have looked at the top restaurants list here, but it seems every top restaurant ends up being called a tourist trap. Which ones are the real gems and which ones are the true traps?

Thank you!!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

Have a look at www.guiaoleo.com.ar. This is the listings of most restaurants in Buenos Aires. The ratings are done by Argentines thus giving you the best response. I doubt that you would find a tourist trap with a high rating on this website. It's all about great food and service. Prices are indicated here so that you have a point of reference.It's in Spanish but quite easy to understand/

The only thing to keep in mind that they rate restaurants by their individual tastes or certain types of preparation of food.

In general, there is little spices used in the preparation of food in Argentina.

Also, for eating of beef,the Argentines eat many parts of the steer which visitors from the USA don't eat.

In addition, use the TA searchbar above to get updated lists of restaurants as reviewed by current visitors.

Buen Viaje

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

It's not always easy to identify a "tourist trap," as some of the best restaurants do make the guide books and thus attract tourists. They are not tourist traps. Then, there are restaurants that live off tourists (including visiting business people, an often overlooked "tourist when these things are discussed) and foreign press, and overcharge as a result, and thus are -- in my book -- tourist traps.

I am aware of only two "steak houses" in BA that are clearly tourist traps:

La Cabana Las Lilas, in Puerto Madero, which lives off foreign press and guide books, tourists, and business people on expense accounts.

Los Nazarenes, in the Micro-Centro, which lives off business people on expense accounts eating lunch there.

I've had to eat at both again recently because someone else wanted to got there, and in my view they not only overcharge, as always, but also deliver mediocre quality.

Many of the restaurants in Puerto Madero are near-tourist traps, although even locals still go there because of the views of water and the "difference" from the rest of BA. There are some exceptions, like a place called "Happening."

There are many good steak houses, in some of which you will see plenty of tourists. Most have been discussed at length in various previous threads, but people will mention them again. My favorite, and the one most often rated the best in BA by local food critics, is La Cabrera in Palermo (corner of Cabrera and Thames, second location a half-block away on Cabrera, exactly the same food as the original). Another very good one is Mirasol in the area known as Recova in Retiro (just outside Recoleta). There's a second location of Mirasol in Puerto Madero, not as good in my view.

As for Italian, try Sottovoce in Recoleta and Amici Miei in San Telmo (overlooking Plaza Dorrego). Plenty of others will get mentioned.

Finally, in addition to Guia Oleo, already mentioned, take a look at www.vidalbuzzi.com.ar. Fernando Vidal Buzzi has been publishing his printed guide to restaurants for 18 years, as well as reviewing wine and food for various publications for much longer. (Currently you'll find his critiques in Noticias, a weekly magazine.) Each year his books review 150 new places and 150 "oldies" (the oldies rotate annually); his web site has info on all restaurants he considers worth reviewing. Unlike Guia Oleo, which collects views from anyone who submits them, Vidal Buzzi's reviews are his alone. He is demanding, opinionated, and at least for my tastes, dead on target every time. Pay very close attention to his numerical ratings in the different areas (food, service, etc.), as he makes careful distinctions.

3. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 January 2009, 18:58
Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

Chocolate, surely your post about Kansas is tongue-in-cheek . . . .

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

Sorry, I was so floored by Chocolate's post on Kansas that I didn't even read the rest.

The Italian restaurant on Riobamba to which Chocolate refers is La Parolaccia, at Riobamba 1046. It's a small local chain; the other two are in Belgrano and Puerto Madero. It's been mentioned often on this forum, because it is one of the best places for lunch in BA. Reservations are definitely required.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

I second La Cabrera. Wonderful food and excellent service. La Cabana Las Lilas in Puerto Madero is indeed a tourist mecca. That being said we did have a good meal there even though it was quite pricey by Argentine standards. We had a table outside on the patio overlooking the canal and our service was very good if a little hovering. All in all a good meal but at a premium price. Stick with La Cabrera for quaility and economy.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,848 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

LOL Punta...

We were just on Puerto Madero today, the restaurants all in a row are so pretty and some are quite expensive and everyone we heard speaking was speaking English.

So I would definitely say that eating in that area will lead you to a Tourist Trap..even if it is a posh one.

La Cabrera is great.. even if you don't eat steak :)

Amici Miei in San Telmo

Sottovocce always seems to be full of neighborhood locals.

La Recova has a great Spanish restaurant called Plaza Mayor .. wonderful paella and salmon dishes.

Rosario, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

Hi!

I´d definitely go to La Cabrera.

And I must say tha La Parolaccia is a bit expensive.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

My favorite Italian this past trip was Amici Miei. Earlier trip, our favorite Italian was Il Matterello at 517 Martín Rodríguez in La Boca. At the time I said it was the best Italian this side of Italy and was sorry we couldnt fit it in on our 2nd trip to BA.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top Steak Houses and Italian Restaurants

La Parolaccia is not expensive at lunch....the fixed price lunches are quite good and reasonably priced...I prefer the location in Palermo....an the corner of Gutierrez y Republica Arabe Siria....

I add my endorsement for some of the other restaurants listed here--La Cabrera, Sottovoce, El Mirasol, and Happening are all very good choices.