We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

I've been looking at airfares daily to Buenos Aires from Chicago, O'Hare. So far, the best fare is hovering around US$950 (1 stop). My daughter will be traveling to BA in Mid-May and I've been told that perhaps airfare will drop since this time of year is not considered high season. Anyone agree? Should I book now or wait? Thanks.

San Carlos de...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

IF you can get to Miami, I think LAN is around $599 roundtrip to BA.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

I'd rather not do it that way. My daughter would have to retreive her luggage after the one way flight from O'Hare to Miami, then check it onto the next flight to BA...it's too much hassle. The flight I'm considering out of O'hare has a connecting time under 2 hours and I worry about delays. If the plane comes in a bit late, will she have time to get her luggage onto the next flight, etc...? But thanks for your input.

San Carlos de...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

Well I think your only option in United from Chicago. Buen viaje!

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

With the uncertainty of the cost of fuel in the coming months it may be better to lock in a price now. $950 from Chicago is not a bad deal in my opinion though it would be cheaper from New York and as was mentioned from Miami. Most airlines will give you a credit if the airfare drops. However there is a processing fee and you must balance the two to see if you will actually get a credit. The credit is also an airline credit not cash. Orbitz offers a price guarantee that I am pretty sure includes international flights. Check the site for conditions. They refund the difference by check if the fare drops. It looks like what you are looking for in terms of price assurance.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

Thank you for your advice Veritas. I will probably book my flight this week then. I should have booked it a couple of weeks ago when it was under $900 ($882 incl. fees and taxes). Oh well.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

Picking an arbitrary mid-may date of May 12, and a return of May 19, I see AirtrAn for ORD/MIA FARES RT AT $118 less tax and MIA/EZE for the same dates as $562 less tax. Total of $680 ORD TO EZE and return. Your fare of $950 one-stop, if it includes taxes, might not be bad.

fwiw, I went right to www.airtran.com and www.lan.com websites. You might want to take a look

tptr

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

Travelocity has resumed allowing searches for international flights over a range of dates (flexible dates). They did it for years and I used the search to find some cheap flights. Then they suspended the service for a couple of years...but it is back. Go to their site. Click flights only. Enter departure city..arrival city and flexible dates. Then you can put in the month or range of months when you want to fly. They will display the fares starting with the lowest. Now the fun begins. You click on the flight and it will display a calendar. If you are lucky you will be able to get the fare on the day you want to leave and return. However, in many cases the dates will not be available or they will show a date that is available (and x in the date means not avaiable when the day shows green it is available). It takes a bunch of trial and error and moving from one flight to another up the cost scale until you find something. Why do it this way? Well it is easier in my mind that trying to plug in a seriers of fixed dates in order to find a cheaper flight. It also gives you some interesting alternatives you might not have thought of.

Remember if you are planning your trip to Argentina in advance try and book your airfare 329 days before your return date. In general you can get the cheapest airfare that way. You might want to use the Travelocity site to find a good fare but book it on Orbitz to get the fare guarantee in the event the fare drops. Can happen but rarely does. Limited flights to Argentina usually translates into fairly stable prices.

australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

Are you sure your daughter will have to recheck her luggage??

Does the airline not through check?

Callaway, Minnesota
Level Contributor
114 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

To add another little price point to this post I just went to BACC travel out of New York and plugged in the dates of May 11 and returning May 18 from Chicago to EZE and with one stop the price was $794 via United the whole way. Not a bad price by any means and I have used BACC Travel a lot as of late and they have been great. I always fly from Fargo to BA or Salvador in Brazil.

Jim in Minnesota

10. Re: Does Airfare Get Cheaper?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 08:19