We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Topic
cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

does anyone know if my verizon wireless cell phone will work while i am in buenos aires? if so, can my family that lives in argentina call me on my cell?

or anyone recommend i rent a cell phone to make and recieve phone calls. what do they usually cost? is it a flat rate or by the minute?

thanks

mina

NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

I had been looking into using my VW phone for a trip later this year. When I called VW they said that only certain phones would work in Argentina (I forget the exact phones, but they sold only 3 phones that would work down there). They also said that I would be charged $5 a minute for any incoming or outgoing phone calls.

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

$5 a minute..that's ludicrous! i am going to look into renting a cell phone. i just don't know what company is reliable and won't break the bank.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

Verizon won't work because they aren't GSM phones. The "push to talk" feature will work though -- if you have that.

You rent the phone and you buy the prepaid cards to recharge it with time. It's usually a flat-rate rental and the minute cost depends upon which of the 3 carriers and the amount of the card you purchase (most carriers give you bonus time with card purchases -- substantial bonuses with larger amount cards).

I have lots of cell phone info written out in my blog:

…blogspot.com/search/…20Argentina

Hull, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

check out skype...we've been here in Argentina, for several weeks and have made lots of calls...for a total of under $10USD...it is 2.1 cents per minute...via the internet...we use our laptop...www.skype.com Check it out...

NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

Blackberry 8830 "world edition" does not include BA in its world. Prepaid phone cards are very cheap.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

Im going to be studying abroad in Buenos Aires and I got skype... I will make my long distance calls on SKYPE to my family and friends back home and rent a cell phone once I am there to make local calls.

** The rented phones do distinguish between long distance calls... you use up your minutes way faster.

I dont know of the ones in Argentina specifically, but the ones you get at Wal-Mart work that way... lol

NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

Veerizon Blackberry "world edition" (8830) does NOT work in BA. Prepaid phone cards are very cheap.

8. Re: cell phone rental or will my verizon cell phone work in BsAs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2009, 06:33