We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite city in Argentina?

California
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite city in Argentina?

We recently returned from Argentina and loved it. We are thinking of buying an apartment there but are not big city people, although we did enjoy Buenos Aires very much.

If you had to choose a city to live in, in Argentina - besides BA - what city would you choose? And could you tell us what you think the pros and cons of living in the city you mention would be?

We appreciate your input on this. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite city in Argentina?

I am a big fan of Bahia Blanca in the southern part of Buenos Aires province. It is about 8 hours by bus or car from Buenos Aires. It also has an airport with regular flights to and from BA. It is a port city with a naval base close by. It ships a lot of grain, beef and hides. Much of it to china. It is surrounded by a lot of farmland growing wheat, soy and raising lifestock. Lots of opens spaces and roads. Perfect for a motorcycle enthusiast.

The city has a large university, good hospitals and a very good infrastructure. Lots of parks. About an hour drive from Monte Hermoso a nice little seaside town with a good beach. Monte has a couple of website devoted to it. 4.5 hours to Mar del Plata. Bahia has good restaurants, clubs, shopping, gyms, movie theater, malls, supermarkets and other varied goods and services. Good hospital and medical care. Pollution is minimal. It is small enough to be cozy but big enough to provide everything you need and have a good and exciting quality of life. It is not BA by any stretch. The cost of living is a bit less than BA. They have a soccer team and stadium. New large bus station. Decent local newspaper (Nueva Provincia). It is at the top of our short list. My argentine wife was raised in Punta Alta which is about 30 minutes away so that influences us as well. But I like to think I am being objective.

I also like some of the small towns near Cordoba. The winter weather in Cordoba is generally better than many other places in Argentina. We looked at a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment in Cordoba with a garage and pool for 122k USD. Brand new. Gated community. Very affordable.

I also am a big Mar del Plata fan (the largest seaside city in BA). Mar del is 5 hours from BA by bus. There are a few websites devoted to Mar del so you can see there is so much to do. Nice city especially in the off season. Summer can get crazy there but for some that is fun too.

2. Re: Favorite city in Argentina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 06:21