We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bytargentina Apartments

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bytargentina Apartments

Although Bytargentina employees are very kind if there is a problem with your flat you may be really disappointed. The flat we rented was in a great neighbourghood - Palermo Viejo. When we arrived we were tired and happy to be in B.A. so we didn't really look around. But as they left we saw that the flat was in bad condition with old and dusty wardrobes, dirty dishes, the gas boiler unbearably loud, the matresses smelling old and of strong cigarette smoke, the blankets very dirty, the windows letting in a strong draught on the beds in both the bedrooms. We asked them to give us another flat but they didn't.

They changed the matress for another one that smelled even worse. An employee of theirs came. He said he agreed that some of the problems were true. He then left and the next time we saw them was the last day to pick up the keys from us. Basically, I would say, the flat was bad quality in general and this is not something you can change in a week.

I have read several good reviews about them, so you might be lucky with a better quality flat and have no problems at all. All other things were dealt fine. Still, unfortunately, I would not recommend them.

Stuggi
Level Contributor
93 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

I have noticed, as I wanted to rent thru Bytargentina as well, is that the best thing to do is come to Buenos Aires, go to a hotel for a couple of days and look around on your own (in case you plan to stay longer). There are a lot of imobiliarias in every neighborhood. So just go where you want to live and look for an apartment in this area.

Fayetteville
Level Contributor
223 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

Would it be possible for you to post the link to the flat. I suspect the condition of apartments vary depending on the ownership. Thanks. I'm sorry you ran into that problem.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,824 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

From what I understand, very few apt rental companies will show you apartments before you rent them.

They just don't have the employees to do it and most often, the apartments are currently rented and no one is going to allow prospective renters to come in and look.

Apartment rentals are rented out by a company but the owner is present and involved in all rentals, so to see an apt, you might also have to have the owner there.. unless you find a smaller company that has a manager.

My rule of thumb has been to rent from a company that gets the largest number of rave reviews from various sources, not just here.. and pay close attention to every detail in the photos they show.. what can you see out the windows? stains showing on furniture? stove and appliances and bath fixtures new or ancient ?

And remember, the lower the rent, the less amenities you can expect, the less plush furniture etc.. there are exceptions to all of this but this is what I found when we moved here and while helping friends apt hunt long distance.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

It is extremely important that you review your rental apartment thoroughly before you sign any paperwork or pay the final payment to the agent or owner. Insist on going through the apartment inventory, working conditions of the appliances and water fixtures, and test for hot water.

Once you sign the agreement then you are acknowledging that the apartment is perfect. If there is anything out of order then document that on the agreement. If the apartment does not meet your expectations then walk away and go to a hotel.

The agencies accept rental listings from the owners on different terms. Some owners take responsibility for repairing anything in the apartment on their own. Some owners give the rental agency full responsiblity for taking care of the repairs without consulting the owner ahead of time.

The second agreement is the most effective for the renter and the agency since repairs can take place immediately by a responsible agency.

If the owner takes on the repairing responsiblitiy then you hope and pray that they are in town and accept that responsiblity with honesty.

If you are considering an apartment then ask the agency what their releationship is with the owner as to repairs. A reputable agency will relate that information. You are best to accept an apartment where the agency is respomsible for repairs.

While BYT is a reputable agency, they are only as effective as the owner permits.

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

"While BYT is a reputable agency, they are only as effective as the owner permits."

Sorry,ricardoBA, I have to disagree with this statement. It is not acceptable for the agent to always pass the blame to the apt owner when there is a problem with a unit.

Firstly, those agents who misrepresent the condition of an apt either by omission ( failing to volunteer important info) or commission (making inaccurate statements) or otherwise oversell because they don't want to miss out on the chance to do a deal and make a quick buck are not ethical.

It follows that conscientious rental agents should know their inventory, know what units are slovenly and are owned by uncaring or careless clients who refuse to maintain them in good or at least decent habitable condition. Moreover, good agents should advise owner/clients about maintenance prior to renting, and ultimately refrain from doing business with problem clients who can't provide or refuse to provide a serviceable apt at market rates. In other words, good agents should anticipate problems and eliminate them before they happen. That is the hallmark of a pro.

Edited: 27 December 2009, 18:43
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,824 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

I know an agent who works for various rental agencies.. often many of these employees work for more than one rental company.

Some, like ByT .. have hundreds of apartments, none of the agents has Seen all of them.

From what I understand, the owner is always on hand with the agent when you go to the apartment .. everyone signs those papers that ricardo speaks of ..

The little dump that my son rented from ByT was cheap and he (unlike his parents) was willing to take less for less rent .. but it turned out to be a loss of money because he paid rent for a week, had to leave after 3 nights and did not get his money back...

The agent had never seen the apt, the owner showed up to get his money and that was the extent of ByT and their "care" for a customer.

We rented from a place that keeps trying to get a foothold here in BA.. the agent is in California, the partner is here in BA and from the first day they misled us on various aspects of the apartment.. charged quite a high rent because we had a dog with us.

Turned out that the apartment was not as clean as my dogs bed.

I stand by my advice... go to as many websites/blogs and read about where/ what / who other visitors rented apartments and learn your way around before making any decisions.

Stay with companies that get more good reviews that bad..

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

Lets make sure we are using the same meaning for "agent." By "agent" I mean the management or owner of the business, not some ordinary employee. The individual employee of the agency may not know what an apt is like before someone expresses interest in renting it, but he sure can find out either by inspecting it personally ( isnt that how he can make an informed recommendation and be of real help?) , or asking his colleagues who have seen it. The management or one of its employess should know all their inventory so as to share that info within the company and with concerned parties.

I, for one, do not accept the notion that a rental agent can plead ignorance about the condition of a unit he is renting out. Of course, it may happen in practice because industry norms have not been developed, but I don't want to encourage that kind of business practice.

Edited: 28 December 2009, 16:42
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

With ByT you meet the agent who takes you INSIDE the apartment and you have the opportunity to look around and inspect everything yourself with the agent before you hand over any money. And in the real world of real estate, the brokers and agents haven't all personally seen each and every property prior to meeting a client at the property -- nor do they see them after each stay (tenants and owners can modify things after the listings for better... or worse). Many apartments are cross-listed with a number of agencies -- so if you select an apartment that's cross-listed -- you don't know who the listing agent was for the property.

If you choose wisely from their website --- (I always have selected from the exclusive to ByT apartments --ones with reviews etc and have had an excellent experience with ByT each time I've rented through them), you can save $ and be comfortable. I've always found the apartments I've stayed in to be BETTER than what was described.. so I've been a happy customer.

But, if you land (IMO anywhere on the planet) without a plan "B" in case you don't like where you've selected -- then you'll be less inclined to say "no, this isn't acceptable". My advice: always have a "plan B" -- it's saved me a lot of grief and wasted time over the years.

Edited: 28 December 2009, 17:12
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
529 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

I almost feel like I can't win. But apt rentals are almost a crap shoot. After I rented an apt' last year thru Alojargentina, I read negative reviews on here. It turned out we had a very positive experience. Have just rented 2 apt's thru Bytargentina for March & April 2010......& now this. I WILL think positively , but I WILL have a backup plan......especially for the april ap't when my kids are visiting. perhpas beforehand, we can get a peek at the April ap't. The April ap't was on FOUR rental sites.....all described a bit differently...but it IS the same ap't. AND I will be more diligent then last year, when we signed in.....and take photos of everything. Luckily, when a glass shelf in the refrigerator broke, we were not held responsible...it WAS cracked when we arrived.

Having sold real estate for 30 years.........and being a strong listing agent.....i "cracked the whip" before taking a listing and making sure everything was in tip top shape. More rental agencies should do the same thing, if things need to be repaired OR furniture is More than shabby. There IS NO EXCUSE!

I'd rather lose the listing then my reputation!!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bytargentina Apartments

That's why I prefer to rent apartments that are exclusive to the agency -- they do have more responsibility for them.

If an apartment is on 4 sites -- that's my cue to pick another one -- too much room for miscommunication when an owner is pimping the place out to that many agencies.